Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cooling wort without running water: HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #31
tankcrash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just got done reading John Palmers book online. Was thinking about a hybrid chiller inside a large PVC pipe that was filled with water adn then frozen night before. Then I read this. Pretty sure its a sign... I think GOD wants me to try it. Unless its been done, failed and put to bed. Let me know please

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 66

You would need about ten to fifteen pounds of ice.

Happy Dog Brewing

Old 11-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #33
zzzzzzzzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a two coil jockey box that I just bought a connector (old shank cut off would work), 2 beer nuts/tailpieces with barb of whatever size you want/have hose for... that's the jumper... to connect two coils. Add another beernut with tailpiece size of your hose to the two in shanks and you have a 100 ft chiller tube. fill jockey box with ice when staring the brew so some ice melts. When done boil pump through the "chiller" 5 gallons takes about 15 minutes to about 80 degrees. I'm in Hawaii so takes a bit of doing to get lower as tap water is 80-82! The jockey box water gets to about 80 and all ice is melted! Also could get boil volume a gallon low then add 4 glad/storage containers of frozen boiled water(=1 gallon) to wort first would either be faster or colder at finish. I tested this and am brewing on Monday... tests went well with plain water.
Aloha
PS.. the jumper removed and the taps can be quickly reconnected to barbed tail pieces on shank to taps.

Quick Reply