New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cooler Sight Glass and Thermometer Fitting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
Gumbys_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Cooler Sight Glass and Thermometer Fitting

well i was going to order one from northern brewer Search Results but they are unavailable. so i was wondering if any one could tell the fittings that would be needed to make one i am assuming the actual sight glass part i can use a cut to size racking cane. any help here would be appreciated. heres a pic of what northern brewer once sold

also going to say the piece in the picture below is going to be needed as well. can anyone tell me what its actually called its the piece thats around the sight glass

Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Last edited by Gumbys_Brew; 02-04-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to assume that its 1/2" NPT fittings. The ones I know for sure are the 1/2" NPT full coupler, 1/2"NPT 3 way pipe junction. The long "pipe" in between the 3way and the coupler is a pipe nipple, but it would be hard to say what the size would be.

Just curious what the price was on that. Morebeer sells a fitting for 25 dollars that allows for a sight glass and a thermometer into a brewing vessel. Add that morebeer fitting to a cooler bulkhead and you have built the same thing...

PM me if you want help finding all the parts for that picture you posted...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
I'm going to assume that its 1/2" NPT fittings. The ones I know for sure are the 1/2" NPT full coupler, 1/2"NPT 3 way pipe junction. The long "pipe" in between the 3way and the coupler is a pipe nipple, but it would be hard to say what the size would be.

Just curious what the price was on that. Morebeer sells a fitting for 25 dollars that allows for a sight glass and a thermometer into a brewing vessel. Add that morebeer fitting to a cooler bulkhead and you have built the same thing...

PM me if you want help finding all the parts for that picture you posted...
Why is it valuable to put a thermometer in the sight glass; I assume the liquid in the sight glass is far from the temperature in the vessle... what am I missing?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
Why is it valuable to put a thermometer in the sight glass; I assume the liquid in the sight glass is far from the temperature in the vessle... what am I missing?
The probe on the thermometer is long enough to reach inside where the temp isn't off, and it's one less weldless fitting that might leak (or one less welded fitting to weld)

Back on topic:
The second picture is of a fitting called a "compression fitting" which would be the best way to go when using a racking cane. Ace sells them.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
hayabusa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
The probe on the thermometer is long enough to reach inside where the temp isn't off, and it's one less weldless fitting that might leak (or one less welded fitting to weld)

Back on topic:
The second picture is of a fitting called a "compression fitting" which would be the best way to go when using a racking cane. Ace sells them.
What thermometer are you using?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The piece around the tubing is called a compression ferrule or just a ferrule. I don't recommend using a metal ferrule on polycarbonate tubing. You can get away with a nylon one, but I prefer a pair of silicone orings which is what I use on mine.

I'm generally convinced that racking canes are made from acrylic which is less heat tolerant than polycarbonate.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
Thermometer goes through and inside vessel not just to the site glass.

Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Quick Reply