Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cooler Mash Tun Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
johngault007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Several people suggested that the effects of dead space are somehow negated when batch sparging. This is simply not true. In fact, excess dead space is a pretty big, needless efficiency hit in batch sparging. In the OP's case, that is a LOT of deadspace (probably 1.5 gallons). Even something as simple as a street elbow in front of the tee would help bring it down closer to the bottom.

No, a siphon won't pull wort UP through a mesh tube. It will such air as soon as the liquid goes below the top of the tee.

Sorry, I should have clarified. My manifold does pull up all but a very minimal amount of wort. I designed it with the slots on the very bottom only for that reason.

That was the deciding factor for me over the mesh strainer.
Kegged: Concussion Red
Upcoming Brews:Moneypenny IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (w/cherry)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
matthewroberts
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried it last night, and it seemed to work pretty well. We tipped it which I think alleviated the dead space, as well as batch sparged. Also thanks for the in depth pictures stlbeer, I will definitely be upgrading it to match yours for the next batch! All the advice is much appreciated.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilshoc View Post
As SirJoshuaIV said, reason being as soon as your tube sucks air it will stop the siphon leaving the two inches of liquid in the tun. However as mentioned before that you should be fine if batch sparging, just account for the liquid left behind.
The thing is, with grain in there you will never be sucking air as long as there is liquid in there, the siphon will stay and it will suck the water up from the bottom 2 inches up through the tube buried in in the grain and into the pot, assuming hes gravity feeding to a pot below the mash tun.

Quick Reply