New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > cooler mash tun conversion question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default cooler mash tun conversion question

I converted this large igloo marine cooler into a mash tun today. Did a leak test and it sealed up right. the problem I'm running into here is that my barb suits close to 2" above the bottom of the cooler leaving behind a significant amount of liquid. could I do a street elbow here and create a dip tube effect like some do with their kettles? here are some pics

Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Absolutely, that's what I had to do to mine. I use a different cooler, and my spout hole sits below the floor of the cooler rather than above. Same idea though. In your case there would be a siphon effect but it would get you to the same end point. And that's more beer!

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
Absolutely, that's what I had to do to mine. I use a different cooler, and my spout hole sits below the floor of the cooler rather than above. Same idea though. In your case there would be a siphon effect but it would get you to the same end point. And that's more beer!
Thanks partner. I'll have to pick one up tomorrow

Quick Reply