Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cooler Conversion question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
crypt0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cooler Conversion question

So I'm jumping into all grain. I ended up finding a good deal on a 60 QT Igloo Island Breeze cooler (pimped out with wheels and a handle!) for $27.

I'm looking into ordering the fittings now, and have a couple of questions. I'd planned on building a SS braid similar to whats built in this youtube video:

I'm wondeing if this is more complicated then necessary though. From what I've seen, most people end up going with a length of say 12" hose straight to the ball valve.

I guess my Q is, would the length of 12" hose horizontally placed along the bottom of the cooler be more prone to channeling or anything? Am I overcomplicating things by adding the T valve and the longer hose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You only need to worry about this if you are going to fly sparge. In which case, the braided hose probably is not the best choice weather you use a T Valve or a straight line to the ball valve. You would want to build more of a grid on the bottom of the cooler out of CPVC or copper pipe with holes drilled in them. If you are batch sparging, channelling isn't something you need to worry about. You just need to make sure you thoroughly mix your grain with your sparge water.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
beerman1957
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a MUCH less complicated system. I think this is a good job, but a bit over the top for me.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't use a conduit lock nut on the inside of the mash tun. The nut on the inside of the mash tun should be brass or stainless. I also wouldn't use galvanized wire on the inside of the hose braid. If you are putting wire on the inside it should be stainless.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK Thanks. I think in the brewing world, its easy to overcomplicate something. I admire the job these guys did but for all stainless parts this setup will get fairly pricey. I can save $20 by going with no T adapter and just a straight braid across the bottom of the cooler.

Quick Reply