Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #51
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
There should be something similar in the area where the door hinges are. That's where i found mine.
Got 'em. They were at the end of the aisle closer to the lumber with the rest of the joining hardware. Amazing how HD carries some things that Lowes doesn't and vice versa.

...I'm back baby!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #52
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon View Post
Got 'em. They were at the end of the aisle closer to the lumber with the rest of the joining hardware. Amazing how HD carries some things that Lowes doesn't and vice versa.
Yes, that's where I found them

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #53
johnodon
Recipes 

Quaffer/Mike...

Did you guys do anyhting to seal/insulate the backside/inside of the temp controller? Do you think there is an problem with condensation getting into the unit from the back since it is wide open?

Also Mike...do you know what brand/color stain you used? That looks pretty close to what Quaffer used. I tried the Minwax Red Mahogany on a test piece but it looks like it came out a little purple. I haven't been able to find that Wissner's Cabernet anywhere.

TIA,

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #54
mikewildt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Quaffer/Mike...

Did you guys do anyhting to seal/insulate the backside/inside of the temp controller? Do you think there is an problem with condensation getting into the unit from the back since it is wide open?

Also Mike...do you know what brand/color stain you used? That looks pretty close to what Quaffer used.
John,
I actually have my temp controller on the outside of the unit. I just put two finish nails into the wood collar on the back of the unit and hung from there. I ran the sensor probe in through the backside, in between the lid and the collar (didnt drill anything additional).

I did use the Minwax Red Mahogany, but did two layers to darken. Didn't seem to come out too purple on my end, probably depends on how light your wood is too. I then used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane Semi -Gloss Aerosol. This I really wish I would have used a respirator for, even doing it outside with a breeze my lungs were not right for a week.

Hope this helps. Remember to post pics!

Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #55
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Quaffer/Mike...

I was going to put a thin peice of insulation behind the controller, but it popped out a couple of times and I finally left it out. I think it is OK, I have not noticed any condensation.

Quote:
Also Mike...do you know what brand/color stain you used? That looks pretty close to what Quaffer used. I tried the Minwax Red Mahogany on a test piece but it looks like it came out a little purple. I haven't been able to find that Wissner's Cabernet anywhere.
I think Zinsser stopped making the Cabernet. I went to www.lowes.com and searched for "Zinsser Cabernet". It still shows up and I can add it to the shopping basket, but it is labeled "unavailable" at all stores near me.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #56
johnodon
Recipes 

Awesome! Thanks guys.

Got the collar all cut/joined/wood puttied and sanded. I just need to cut the holes for the shanks, temp contoller anb wires out the back. After that, I start staining. Nice to know that the Red Mahogany truns out looking nice. Maybe it was just the pine I was using that was giving it a purplish look. I have since moved to the Hemlock since my first attempt at a colar was a msierable disaster. I was trying to use a little better quality wood so I bought finished pine boards. The problem is that the are only 3/4" think so I was gluing two of them together around all of the sides. What a mess. Oh well...live and learn. I was a little afraid of the hemlock because I thought I wouldn't be able to find two boards that were straight. First two I picked off of the pile were near perfect.

I did have another question: What size hole saw for the shank holes? I think I read somewhere else the 7/8" works best. Can you guys confirm?

Also, for anyone else following this thread: My freezer (like most I would think) has a textured finish...almost rubberized. I found a nice paint that worked perfectly. I originally tried the Rustomeum Appliance Epoxy, but since it was enamel based it seemed to chip off a little easy. I could actually scrath it off with my finger nail after sitting for 2 days. This is what I ended up using (available at Lowes/HD):

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=178

OVERVIEW:
New Rust-Oleum Universal is specifically formulated to work on diverse surfaces including wood, plastic, metal, brick, concrete and even vinyl. The Rust-Oleum Universal advanced spray system can spray from any angle — even upside down.

PRODUCT FEATURES:
For use on interior / exterior environments
One Universal coating for diverse substrates
Ultimate flexibility for extreme applications
Maximum adhesion for demanding substrates
Fast, efficient coverage
Fade and chip resistant
Rust preventative
2008 HANDY Innovation Award Winner

This stuff is pure awesomeness!

Thanks again!

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #57
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
What size hole saw for the shank holes? I think I read somewhere else the 7/8" works best. Can you guys confirm?
I used a 1" hole saw, but later whished it had been 7/8" instead. 1" works but 7/8" is a better fit.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #58
johnodon
Recipes 

Faucets, hoses, distributor, etc. all being delivered today. Once everything is assembled, I'll post a few pics. Just doing 3 faucets for now and will eventually expand to 5. I cheaped out on the faucets though. I really wanted Perlick 525's but just got regular old chrome. Just didn't have the budget right now. Maybe Santa will be nice to me.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #59
robbyg
Recipes 

Thanks for posting this build, Quaffer. After seeing your photos, SWMBO has agreed that a DIY keezer can look nice enough to sit in the finished half of the basement. I plan to start gathering parts this autumn!

Enjoying: Stout, Apfelwein, American Amber, Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Sweet Mead

See My Kegerator Build

Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #60
mikewildt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

I did have another question: What size hole saw for the shank holes? I think I read somewhere else the 7/8" works best. Can you guys confirm?

John
I used the 7/8" bit and the shanks fit tight and perfect.

Let me know how that other Rustoleum paint works!

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply