Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #511
rgauthier20420
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I recently started my keezer build and had to paint from white to black. I used the appliance epoxy paint at a local Menards for it. Went through about 2 cans of it only. It's done, but I've got a great picture of just after it was finished with the second coat.

If anyone knows the show, it looks like a scene out of Dexter on Showtime.....

20130509_195749.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #512
tommyonegun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Lookin like a Dexter protege.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #513
photo_sports
Recipes 

Is the thermostat control really needed if the freezer comes with a basic dial adjustment. Has anyone used the johnson control that you plug the freezer into or is it best to stick with the love thermostat. I also found some on amazon for about $20 do I dare trust them?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #514
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_sports View Post
Is the thermostat control really needed if the freezer comes with a basic dial adjustment. Has anyone used the johnson control that you plug the freezer into or is it best to stick with the love thermostat. I also found some on amazon for about $20 do I dare trust them?
Yes, it's definitely needed. The freezer is designed to operate at temperatures that will freeze the beer, so when you use a freezer for a kegerator you need to make accommodations for that. Some have replaced the existing control circuit, but most use a supplemental control. Many of us built our own using an aquarium temperature controller that you can buy in eBay for $20-$25, which ends up costing about $35-$40 in the end. Sorry that I don't have the link handy in the android app, but there's a mammoth thread that has all of the details you'll need in the first few pages. Good luck!

If you're not having fun, lower your standards ...

My keezer build thread --> Mid-Missouri freezer conversion

Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #515
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_sports View Post
I'd been looking for this thread to give. Give it a try. It's very easy and I've had a number of my friends do this with success. It eliminates the need to drill a hole in your collar and is pretty darn accurate.

Good luck!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-set-internal-chest-freezer-thermostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Old 05-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #516
buildzit
building tomorrow's beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's the link for the aquarium temp controller

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

and the link to the seller most have bought from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-purpose-Temperature-Controller-STC-1000-sensor-/220812377568?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336971 7de0#shId

Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #517
rgauthier20420
Recipes 

I need some feeback please. So I've already built the keezer dolly, collar, and in the process of finishing the top out of wood. Now my lady is commenting that it doesn't fit as well as she'd hoped with the room, and we are looking at painting all the wood white (to match the bottom half of the room). Since I've already painted the damn thing black with the epoxy spray paint, I'm not about to make that mess again. So I'm thinking of glueing a piece a 1/4 in sanded plywood to the sides and painting that. I'm expecting that the plywood would still be thin enough to allow for the heat exchange for the coils. What do yall think?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #518
chiefwigms
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

question for you guys - so i've been running this thing for like 8 months now, and just removed my first two kegs. When I looked at the bottom, there seemed to be orange crud all around the corners - I thought some beer might have leaked from one of my taps, but it turns out its on the hump corners too. I have an eva-dry in there, but nothing else - it doesn't look like mold either. Anyone? I scrubbed around with bleach/chlorine, but there is still some junk around.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #519
BiteSize
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwigms
question for you guys - so i've been running this thing for like 8 months now, and just removed my first two kegs. When I looked at the bottom, there seemed to be orange crud all around the corners - I thought some beer might have leaked from one of my taps, but it turns out its on the hump corners too. I have an eva-dry in there, but nothing else - it doesn't look like mold either. Anyone? I scrubbed around with bleach/chlorine, but there is still some junk around.
I too have run into this problem. I've just come to accept it. I clean it out with bleach every few months buy never get it back to its original state. I think it may be rust forming from condensation inside. I also have an eva-dry and some damp rid containers. It doesn't affect the beer though, so cheers!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #520
grainbill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

excellent photos and details, thanks

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply