The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #41
BSBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

nice job! love how the black looks with the dark stained wood. you gotta get some pictures of this badboy in action up next!

On the journey from home brewing to brewery...follow our progress below:

BoleroSnort.com|Twitter|Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #42
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

I have been doing all of my homework for my upcoming Keezer project and you just convinced me to go with the black Frigidaire 7.2. Your build looks absolutely awesome!!! I especially like the hemlock...nice grain!

Thank you for supplying the parts list. This helps out immensely!

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #43
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewildt View Post
First off I must say your setup is quite impressive. I am basing my build off many of the steps you took. I have painted my chest freezer black, and cut and stained my collar today.
mike...what type of paint did you use? I would still prefer to buy a used freezer off of craigslist rather than fork over $250. Are you satisfied with the paint?

Thanks,

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #44
mikewildt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon View Post
mike...what type of paint did you use? I would still prefer to buy a used freezer off of craigslist rather than fork over $250. Are you satisfied with the paint?
Hi John,
I used Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint. It really looks amazing and appears as if it was bought this way. I would highly recommend that you do this outdoors, the paint floats around and sticks to everything. I am not sure why people spray painted indoors in the first place but I have read stories of peoples living rooms being covered in a film this epoxy after painting. Would also recommend a respirator, after 3 cans of spraying this stuff my lungs were a bit tight, wished I had dropped the $30 on one. Also I would recommend doing it during the day where there is plenty of light to make sure you have covered everything evenly. I went back to touch up a few spots that were a little thin and those spots ended up looking a little bit different, almost a bit more glossy than the original coat. Other than that it really does look great. You can pick it up for like $8 per can at Lowe's or below is an Amazon link. I used 3 cans on my 14 gallon Keezer. Good luck! Post pictures when painted.

http://amzn.to/b2KmUP

Old 09-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
Hi John,
I used Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint. It really looks amazing and appears as if it was bought this way. I would highly recommend that you do this outdoors, the paint floats around and sticks to everything. I am not sure why people spray painted indoors in the first place but I have read stories of peoples living rooms being covered in a film this epoxy after painting. Would also recommend a respirator, after 3 cans of spraying this stuff my lungs were a bit tight, wished I had dropped the $30 on one. Also I would recommend doing it during the day where there is plenty of light to make sure you have covered everything evenly. I went back to touch up a few spots that were a little thin and those spots ended up looking a little bit different, almost a bit more glossy than the original coat. Other than that it really does look great. You can pick it up for like $8 per can at Lowe's or below is an Amazon link. I used 3 cans on my 14 gallon Keezer. Good luck! Post pictures when painted.

http://amzn.to/b2KmUP
Awesome! Thanks Mike.

One more question...did you have to sand the freezer down to metal or did you spray right on top of the existing finish? I would really prefer that the end result be a textured finish (like the original finish) and figure I would need to spray without sanding to achieve this. The one thing that concerned me was that the description says this:
"Rust-Oleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy is an ultra-hard, moisture resistance enamel that is specifically formulated for indoor metal surfaces."
Thoughts?

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #46
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I have been doing all of my homework for my upcoming Keezer project and you just convinced me to go with the black Frigidaire 7.2. Your build looks absolutely awesome!!! I especially like the hemlock...nice grain!

Thank you for supplying the parts list. This helps out immensely!

John
Thanks. Good luck on your project. It is time for me to brew again. I have a hard time to keep the taps supplied.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #47
mikewildt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks Mike.

One more question...did you have to sand the freezer down to metal or did you spray right on top of the existing finish? I would really prefer that the end result be a textured finish (like the original finish) and figure I would need to spray without sanding to achieve this.
I did sand down the fridge with a medium grain sandpaper. I didn't sand away the texture that I think you are talking about, just the semi-glossy finish. It may be possible that you can use that paint without sanding but that is the way I did it. I didn't even sand off all the paint or anything to get all the way down to the metal, it was still white when I painted it. Hope this helps.

The can's instructions say:
"Remove loose paint and rust with a wire brush or sandpaper. Lightly sand glossy surfaces. Clean the surface with soap and water, rinse and let dry. Priming is not recommended. Cleaning is recommended before and after wire brushing or sanding."

So seems like light sanding is the way to go.

Last edited by mikewildt; 09-17-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #48
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
I did sand down the fridge with a medium grain sandpaper. I didn't sand away the texture that I think you are talking about, just the semi-glossy finish. It may be possible that you can use that paint without sanding but that is the way I did it. I didn't even sand off all the paint or anything to get all the way down to the metal, it was still white when I painted it. Hope this helps.

The can's instructions say:
"Remove loose paint and rust with a wire brush or sandpaper. Lightly sand glossy surfaces. Clean the surface with soap and water, rinse and let dry. Priming is not recommended. Cleaning is recommended before and after wire brushing or sanding."

So seems like light sanding is the way to go.
The texture I am referring to is that bumby almost rubberized finish. The chest freezer I bought is not a flat finish like a washer, dryer or range. It has that impact resistant coating. I'm just wondering if this paint will stick to that.

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #49
johnodon
Recipes 

Quaffer...

Where did you find the corner braces that join the collar pieces? Home Depot? I stopped in Lowes last nigh and didn't see anyhting like them and I'm having trouble finding them on HD's webiste.

TIA,

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #50
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Quaffer...

Where did you find the corner braces that join the collar pieces? Home Depot? I stopped in Lowes last nigh and didn't see anyhting like them and I'm having trouble finding them on HD's webiste.

TIA,

John
There should be something similar in the area where the door hinges are. That's where i found mine.

I brew lots of beer.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply