Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #391
DariusFresh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I had another moisture management question for you guys. I use an evadry500, but still get some water pooling up in the corners of my freezer, because I'm still using cobra taps, and have to open it often. Is there any harm in putting a silicon bead along all of the interior paneling joints in the freezer? There isn't enough water to really case a problem, but I don't want it seeping into the joints over time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #392
Pieceman
Recipes 

I don't see a problem with putting a bead of silicone on the joints. I had to do the same thing on the corners of my collar, as well as a couple of spots around the seal. Just make sure you smooth it out nice and even.

Edit.. Honestly though, I doubt it's going to help your moisture problem though because you are constantly opening it. I would suggest upgrading your taps to ultimately solve your problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #393
Pieceman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to see pictures, please post.
Sorry it has taken me so long to post these.

The handle was made from a sliding glass door handle that I picked up from Lowes. I sanded it down and stained it the same color as the collar. Then gave it a coat of gloss.

Gotta represent the hbt forums!

Here, you can see my computer fan and L-shaped brackets holding my collar together. Also, my 1/6 and 1/2 kegs.

And here are the wires coming out of the back collar from my circulation fan.

You guys may notice that I do not have a temperature controller on my build... There is really no need for one if you follow the guidance from this thread, and if you have the frigidaire 7.2cf model, the adjustment is made here. It's a pretty handy tip that will save you $50 bucks or so, and some additional time.

Thanks again for all the advice given in this thread. Couldn't have done it without you guy's posts

Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #394
DariusFresh
Recipes 

thanks for the input. i have all of my taps already, just need to build the collar! the moisture problem isn't all THAT bad (maybe just 1/32 of an inch pooled around the edges actually), I just didn't like the idea of that liquid getting into the joints. it was my first caulking job, so it wasn't totally smooth. is this going to pose a problem?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #395
DariusFresh
Recipes 

also, pieceman, I have the exact same freezer as you. About how many turns of the screw did it take to get it where you wanted it? And also, does it seem to be holding a pretty stable temperature?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #396
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusFresh View Post
also, pieceman, I have the exact same freezer as you. About how many turns of the screw did it take to get it where you wanted it? And also, does it seem to be holding a pretty stable temperature?
+1, I'd like to start adjusting mine tonight or tomorrow

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #397
Pieceman
Recipes 

Quote:
thanks for the input. i have all of my taps already, just need to build the collar! the moisture problem isn't all THAT bad (maybe just 1/32 of an inch pooled around the edges actually), I just didn't like the idea of that liquid getting into the joints. it was my first caulking job, so it wasn't totally smooth. is this going to pose a problem?
It's not a huge deal, but when you smooth it out, you are pushing the caulk deeper into the crevice which gives you a better seal. Also it eliminates tiny "missed spots" that can let out condensation. It's not the end of the world though and definitely not worth redoing.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleslaus View Post
+1, I'd like to start adjusting mine tonight or tomorrow

I didn't count the turns but it was probably around 8. Easiest way to do it is adjust the screw until it's almost tight, then back it off about 2 full turns. It's not going to be the exact temperature you want the first time. Just set it, and leave the lid closed for a few hours. Come back and check the temperature of a glass of water that you leave in there.

Yeah it holds at 38 remarkably well.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #398
Boleslaus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieceman View Post
I didn't count the turns but it was probably around 8. Easiest way to do it is adjust the screw until it's almost tight, then back it off about 2 full turns. It's not going to be the exact temperature you want the first time. Just set it, and leave the lid closed for a few hours. Come back and check the temperature of a glass of water that you leave in there.

Yeah it holds at 38 remarkably well.
How warm do you think it would get turned all the way in?

Watch me leap through this hoop!

My current line-up:

Fermenter 1: Altbier

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #399
Pieceman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleslaus View Post
How warm do you think it would get turned all the way in?
When I was messing around with mine, the warmest that it got was mid 50's. But the set screw was probably 1/2 or a full turn from being tight. You'd have to check it for yourself once you're set up. There's no way I'm ever touching mine again

Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #400
DariusFresh
Recipes 

this is wonderful news! i'll start adjusting mine tonight.
also, i did push in with my finger (covered in dish soap) to smooth it out, i just didn't didn't get up as much of the excess as i wanted.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply