Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #311
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
how long is the probe on the transmitter? thats pretty cool. You think if you put it in a plastic back it would just float and the probe would not be in the beer providing correct temps.

I like your idea.
There is no probe on the transmitter. It's wireless as in RF. The transmitter is in a plastic zip lok bag floating on top of the beer. The only thing separating the beer from the transmitter is the wall of the thin plastic bag. I have a muffin fan running continuously in the freezer, so the entire keg should be of fairly uniform temperature, even at the surface. Close enough for me in any case. I have indoor/outdoor thermometers in all of my refrigerators and freezers. I like the min/max memory feature they have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #312
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got all my parts in from keg connection yesterday and I am going to install everything tonight, does it matter what the length of my hoses are for the co2 and beer line? I was just thinking about cutting enough hose to go from each connection plus enough slack on each connection so that if I need to move things around in any direction, I can. Is there anything else to take into consideration that would make me want to cut my lines longer or shorter?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #313
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The gas lines just need to be long enough so you can maneuver them and/or around them comfortably.

The beer line length does make a difference. Mine are six feet. That works well for me.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #314
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

Here is a table of volume of C02 at different temperatures and line lengths

http://99-bottles.com/Documents/Line%20Resistance%20(C02%20Chart).pdf

Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #315
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You know what i don't understand, I know they make a faucet that attaches directly to the liquid out disconnect that is attached a soda keg. There is no hose attached to it. How do they get it to work well?

Last night I hooked up my first keg and poured a glass. I first set it to 5 PSI and it came out nice but a little slow. Then i kicked it up to 10psi and it came out nice but a little faster. I really don't think anyone needs those charts because all you have to do is experiment. Those charts are most likely really useful for people who install draught systems that are rather large and where the kegs are stored a long distance from the faucets.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #316
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
1. I have a brand new Love TS-13010 controller and I just checked it out. There is no delay. All of the parameters (d2 thru c3), which could affect a delay have a default value of zero. Cut power to the controller several times over a period of 10 minutes or so. Nope...no delay at all. None of my other controllers have a delay either.

2. IIRC, this is still a semi-free country. I don't think the power companies have the authority to issue such a broad regulation to manufacturers. Either it's code or it's not. If it is a code type regulation, I would think that it could be located somewhere.. Industrial groups would likely automatically reject the idea on the basis that it lacks flexibility.

3. Yes, small relays can be set up to operate larger relays. No surprise there. These controllers are nothing more than digital thermostats with a built in relay that handles line voltage. Some have more features than others, but they are still just simple digital temperature switches.
Hmm. Well, there is the possibility that I am wrong about this. I will check my controller again. My information is all hearsay, so I cannot say for sure.

I searched the web a little and I came up with a few items. This page says that the delay protects the compressor after a power outage (read 3rd paragraph).

This PDF page talks about power outage protection for the compressor also (1st paragraph).

This temperature controller information page says "Automatic Delay Restart (ADR)
Auto restart delay: Ensures on line quality after power failure, decreases power loading, and protects the compressor."

I think my information was basically correct, except for the "requirement" part.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #317
rdann87
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks Gorgeous. Nice work.

"Always Be Kind to a Creative Mind"

Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #318
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Hmm. Well, there is the possibility that I am wrong about this. I will check my controller again. My information is all hearsay, so I cannot say for sure.

I searched the web a little and I came up with a few items. This page says that the delay protects the compressor after a power outage (read 3rd paragraph).

This PDF page talks about power outage protection for the compressor also (1st paragraph).

This temperature controller information page says "Automatic Delay Restart (ADR)
Auto restart delay: Ensures on line quality after power failure, decreases power loading, and protects the compressor."

I think my information was basically correct, except for the "requirement" part.
I thought you said that you use a Love controller (or Ranco or Johnson) and that they had a built in default delay, so it should be easy for you to check.

The first link is completely irrelevant to our discussion. That link lists some high tech $16,000 freezers. Who the hell owns one of those anyway?

Can't open the second link, but also irrelevant. Most of the controllers have an adjustable parameter for anti-short cycle delay among others. We are talking about a mandated built in unavoidable start up delay.

The third link shows another obscure temperature controller similar to the Love's I guess. I did not bother to read the specs all the way through, but it looks similar. Again, nothing new here and nothing that isn't addressed by adjustable parameters on the Love's, Johnson & Ranco's.

It's not important. I was only curious about the non-existent regulation regarding start up delays built into these timers. I think I have the answer now. Thanks for your trouble anyway. That must have been a lot of work.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #319
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6138 Times on 5347 Posts
Likes Given: 750

Anyone ever mount a Johnson A419 inside of the keezer? It's kinda bulky, and I'd like to get it out of the way....

Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #320
Clark1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post

2. IIRC, this is still a semi-free country. I don't think the power companies have the authority to issue such a broad regulation to manufacturers. Either it's code or it's not. If it is a code type regulation, I would think that it could be located somewhere.. Industrial groups would likely automatically reject the idea on the basis that it lacks flexibility.

I have designed a lot of things that get plugged into the walls in a lot of countries.

There are some horrible requirements if it is medical equipment. They don't want the patient getting shocked.
Military has EMP for when atomic bombs go off in the upper atmosphere, and TEMPEST requirements so the Russians can't tell what key was hit on an IMB Selectric typewriter.

There are some double insulation requirements that kick in to get a UL sticker, and sell the stuff.

But home brew electronics has one big requirement, not to put power back on the line during a power outage. They don't want line men getting electrocuted by your windmill.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply