Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #281
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like that idea too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #282
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Quaffer, I have been looking at other peoples wiring diagrams for the same love temp controller. I just got mine in last night and plan to wire it tonight but on these other diagrams I never see them jumping 2 terminals. Why do you do that?

Also, are there different versions of the tsx-10140 that I should worry about, like making sure that if I use your wiring diagram I need to make sure the love controller is exactly the same. The part number is but I don't know if I can check for something else.
Terminal 7 of the TSX-10140 supplies power to the controller itself. I jumper it to terminal 8 to provide power for the compressor via the internal relay. Without the jumper you will need another wire for terminal 8.

Before you start wiring you should take some time to understand how it works. It may prevent accidents and possible injury. Follow one wiring diagram, don't mix and match from two diagrams unless you understand how it will affect operation.

There is only one version of the TSX-10140. They will all be identical.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #283
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Buddy, got everything wired and working but I am getting a open probe error?

Your right I should completely understand this but I guess i don't, why do I need to wire into the original thermostat? I thought that is what the controller and prob are for? My buddy who does wiring for a living is wondering if we can just completely get rid of the original thermostat.

On the original thermostat should I have it turned all the way up or down?

After you have it wired up and do the first test run, should the freezer kick on right away if the set point is at 45? Or because of some of the settings, will it take a few minutes to turn on?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #284
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks Buddy, got everything wired and working but I am getting a open probe error?

Your right I should completely understand this but I guess i don't, why do I need to wire into the original thermostat? I thought that is what the controller and prob are for? My buddy who does wiring for a living is wondering if we can just completely get rid of the original thermostat.

On the original thermostat should I have it turned all the way up or down?

After you have it wired up and do the first test run, should the freezer kick on right away if the set point is at 45? Or because of some of the settings, will it take a few minutes to turn on?
An open probe error will result when there is a break in the wire for the probe, or more likely, there is a bad connection at the controller, terminals 1 and 2. Make sure that you did not connect to terminal 3 using the probe that came with the controller. If I remember correctly there is also a setting in the controller that specifies which type of probe is attached, it should be set to NTC or this error may occur.

The only reason I kept the original thermostat is that it can be used as an on/off switch, just like it did from the factory. The thermostat cannot be set to a high enough temperature to interfere with the new controller, so it does not really matter what you set it to as long as it is on. You can bypass the thermostat and go without it, no problem; you just won’t have an on/off switch.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #285
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
It is a requirement that temperature controllers above a certain size do not start the compressor immediately after a power outage. The reason is that it will be very hard for the utility company to start all those compressors at once. The start time is a few minutes, and I think it varies between different controllers to give the utility company a soft power-up.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #286
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your help. I got my collar mounted yesterday and wired up the controller. I checked the connection for the temp probe but I am still getting that same error. If I put that probe in a glass of ice water and it reads 32 degrees, that error will go away. When I take it out of the water and it's just measuring the temp of the air, the error comes back on.

As far as when the compressor will kick on, we thought we still had it wired wrong until after we let it sit for a few minutes and all of a sudden it turned on. It was a beautiful sound!

So, I really have not tested it yet. Can you tell me what the best way to do this is? Because the temperature inside the freezer is at room temperature right now, should i get a glass of water at the same temp to put the probe in? Then adjust my set temperature to just above that set temp?

Also, what I ended up doing was completely removing the thermostat.

One problem i am running into is that on one corner on my lid, the gasket won't sit flush and there is a gap for cold air to escape. I don't think it was sitting flush even before I added the collar. If you look at the gasket you can see it's warped. Anyone know how to correct this? It's a used freezer so it's not likes it under warranty.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #287
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
It is a requirement that temperature controllers above a certain size do not start the compressor immediately after a power outage. The reason is that it will be very hard for the utility company to start all those compressors at once. The start time is a few minutes, and I think it varies between different controllers to give the utility company a soft power-up.
I've never heard of this requirement before and I'm having a hard time believing it's true, and especially so for small residential type refrigerators and freezers. Many of the digital controllers have an anti-short cycle delay feature and it's purpose is to protect the compressor in the event a malfunction of some kind. The ASD setting is typically adjustable from 0-30 minutes. There is no other delay feature that I am aware of as might be a government requirement.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #288
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I've never heard of this requirement before and I'm having a hard time believing it's true, and especially so for small residential type refrigerators and freezers. Many of the digital controllers have an anti-short cycle delay feature and it's purpose is to protect the compressor in the event a malfunction of some kind. The ASD setting is typically adjustable from 0-30 minutes. There is no other delay feature that I am aware of as might be a government requirement.
Remember that this temperature controller is not meant for home refrigerators or freezers. It is meant for larger commercial units, for where there may be multiple such units. You have noticed this power-on delay in the Love controller, right? Or are you speaking hypothetically without actually owning one of these?

Edit: I am trying to remember where I heard about this. It may not be a requirement after all, perhaps just a good idea that manufacturers implement for this very reason. I first heard about it with respect to large electrical water heaters (in Europe), but I have seen references to it since here in the U.S, and to compressors as well. Compressors are particularly vulnerable to brown-out conditions and it may be for the protection of the compressor primarily.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #289
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Remember that this temperature controller is not meant for home refrigerators or freezers. It is meant for larger commercial units, for where there may be multiple such units. You have noticed this power-on delay in the Love controller, right? Or are you speaking hypothetically without actually owning one of these?
I have a Johnson A419 and several of the analogs. I also have a Love controller. It's still in the box, but I've read the instructions and manual, so I'm familiar with the settings. There are a number of parameters for the Love controller that can delay cycling, but they can all be set to zero as well.

The Love controller is designed to operate any heating or cooling device up to a 16 amp draw according to the specs. The point being that they are designed for smaller units, not larger industrial equipment.

I'm still not buying the thing about delayed start requirements. Can you point me to the regulation you are referring to. You know, document your claim so to speak? I didn't think so.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #290
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So what are you guys doing to cover up the back of the controller? the wires are still exposed so I need to do something to at least splash proof it.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply