Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #171
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2puttbird View Post
Really great stuff, Quaffer (et al.) ... I've been planning to use the Frigidaire 7.2 for my project due to its perfect size and black color ... it's going to be sitting near my kitchen, right next to a server that is solid black with a reddish-mahagony top ... thus my original design concept was almost identical to yours, so I appreciate all of the information that you and others have posted in this thread.

Hop Head's completely skinned keezer (reply #100) has been tempting me to try the same thing, but discussions with SWMBO has me leaning toward a hybrid of the two projects ... leave the black freezer unskinned ... discard the lid and build a complete lid assembly with a nice top surface (thin quartz veneer or tile), using 1x6 for the sides and other lighter materials to keep the weight as low as possible ... and add a base with casters, surrounded by black (upside down) crown molding to give the unit mobility, hide the casters, match the aforementioned server, and add height to the unit.

Yep, this is all coming together ... thanks to everyone here for the inspiriation! Cheers!
Can't wait to see the pictures.... so get to it already....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #172
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6126 Times on 5338 Posts
Likes Given: 737

I would start my build; but of course my freezer was damaged during shipping. Ordered on-line from Lowes.com and rather then send it to the store closest to me; they sent it to one 200 miles away. Then they sub-contracted FedEx to deliver it; drove it to the wrong hub (170 miles from me in another direction). Finally got it today and the lid is bashed in two places.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #173
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I would start my build; but of course my freezer was damaged during shipping. Ordered on-line from Lowes.com and rather then send it to the store closest to me; they sent it to one 200 miles away. Then they sub-contracted FedEx to deliver it; drove it to the wrong hub (170 miles from me in another direction). Finally got it today and the lid is bashed in two places.

You don't need their crappy lid anyway.... make your own...

Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #174
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I would start my build; but of course my freezer was damaged during shipping. [snip] ... the lid is bashed in two places.
I agree with Hop-Head ... I ordered the same freezer, also from Lowe's, and if you read the comments on Lowes site, it seems like your experience is anything but unique ... bit I'm planning to toss my lid anyway, so if was you I would do the same thing (and then tell them you'll take a huge discount instead of a new unit)! Cheers!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #175
Jota21
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just make sure the unit works before you decide to keep it. If the lid is that mangled, there may be other damage to the mechanics of it.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #176
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
Can't wait to see the pictures.... so get to it already....
Heh heh heh ... the freezer's on order, and I got some advice from the MM staff on the least expensive way to get what I want from their kit selection ... but waiting is definitely the hardest part ... my wife even suggested driving to KC (~120 miles) and finding places to buy everything (even at a premium) to avoid the shipping delays!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #177
horric29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
You don't need their crappy lid anyway.... make your own...
I think I was lucky... My freezer was just delivered, no problems with the physical aspects (short of the fact that the vent on the side by the compressor isn't really flush). I did have a hell of a time getting it though, ordered through Lowes and it came from a store an hour away when I had 6 closer stores... Oy vey Lowes! Waiting patiently on KegConnection to come through with the rest of the parts...

Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #178
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I was lucky. I ordered the black Frigidaire 7.2 over the summer and it sat in my basement until about 1 month ago. I did check out the lid when I received it, but not the sides, nor did I plug it in. However, it's perfect, so with all the reported dents and dings, I got lucky. I've been working on my collar for a while now because as a woodworker, I decided to wrap the hemlock 2 x 10 box in some awesome 1/8" birdseye maple I got off Ebay. I also turned my own tap handles from cocobolo and I made 1 in figured maple because I plan to dedicate 1 for soda and 3 for beer. I thought about waiting until the very end, but I might start a new thread with what I've accomplished so far. Uh.....yes, I'm over budget, but who really has a budget. If I don't add up the costs....then it does not exist. :-)

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #179
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
I was lucky. I ordered the black Frigidaire 7.2 over the summer and it sat in my basement until about 1 month ago. I did check out the lid when I received it, but not the sides, nor did I plug it in. However, it's perfect, so with all the reported dents and dings, I got lucky. I've been working on my collar for a while now because as a woodworker, I decided to wrap the hemlock 2 x 10 box in some awesome 1/8" birdseye maple I got off Ebay. I also turned my own tap handles from cocobolo and I made 1 in figured maple because I plan to dedicate 1 for soda and 3 for beer. I thought about waiting until the very end, but I might start a new thread with what I've accomplished so far. Uh.....yes, I'm over budget, but who really has a budget. If I don't add up the costs....then it does not exist. :-)
That is going to be one sweet kegerator! Budgets be damned, full speed ahead! Can't wait to see the result.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #180
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's a given that as men, we have to go over our budget. Lol

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager