New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Converting the Frigidaire 7.2 cu ft Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #121
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
What's the lengths of those beer shanks? I've been searching for 3 inch stainless shanks or one piece nipple shanks and I cannot find anyone that has them in 3/16" bore. My beverage line is 3/16", so I thought that I need 3/16" bore. I see a lot that are 1/4" bore.
Just use the 1/4-inchers.... that's what I and most others use. If it's too tight to push the line on, just hold it under hot water for awhile... she'll slide right on...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #122
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDachshunds View Post
Is that the Frigidaire 7.2cf freezer? I got my frigidaire yesterday, and I can fit 4 cornys (snugly) on the bottom, and 2 additional on the hump.
Four on the floor, really? I know mine can not hold that many on the floor. There must be something that is different with your setup. Perhaps you have a larger model Frigidaire?

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #123
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
What's the lengths of those beer shanks? I've been searching for 3 inch stainless shanks or one piece nipple shanks and I cannot find anyone that has them in 3/16" bore. My beverage line is 3/16", so I thought that I need 3/16" bore. I see a lot that are 1/4" bore.
I use 1/4" bore shanks with 3/16" beer line. I had the same concern as you do, but it turned out OK. I serve at about 10 psi through 10' beer lines and there is minimal foaming. At 12 to 14 psi, the first glass of the day will have more foam but the second glass will be just right. Temperature will be a factor also. I will typically keep it in the low 40's.

Heating the tubing in very hot water makes it easy to slide it on the hose barb.

By the way, thanks for the compliment in you earlier post.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #124
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use 1/4" shanks and 10' of 3/16" line. Serve at 43* and 13psi. Nice carb with no foaming.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #125
DirtyDachshunds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Four on the floor, really? I know mine can not hold that many on the floor. There must be something that is different with your setup. Perhaps you have a larger model Frigidaire?
I got the 7 cuft model here: http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?modelNo=FFC0723GB

Here are some pictures to show you how everything fits. I only have 1 corny currently, so cardboard cutouts resemble the others.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #126
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't they make 2.5 gal cornies now? I was hoping I could fit 2 of those up on the shelf at some point.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #127
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The reality is that its a very tight fit for 4 cornies. But it will fit.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #128
Quaffer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDachshunds View Post
I got the 7 cuft model here: http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/product.jsp?modelNo=FFC0723GB

Here are some pictures to show you how everything fits. I only have 1 corny currently, so cardboard cutouts resemble the others.

It looks like it will fit four on the bottom. It will be interesting to see a picture once you fit four actual cornies in there.

That's a good price on the freezer by the way. It is the same model.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #129
Quaffer
Recipes 

Default Wiring Update

Time for a few updates.

First off is a minor update to the wiring of the Love temperature controller. I used the green wire in a three-conductor cable to carry switched power from terminal 9 down to the compressor power input. In case you wonder, it is perfectly fine to use the green conductor for other purposes than ground. It still complies with code with the provision that you mark the green wire so that it will not be confused by ground by someone working on the wiring in the future. So the update is that I have added a piece of black electrical tape to mark the green wire, and a similar marker goes at the other end as well. We may as well comply with code when it is as simple as this, right? I'd be interested to hear any comments you have on this topic.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #130
Quaffer
Recipes 

Default Fan update

After trying a few ways to use the computer fan, I ended up mounting it on a three-inch PVC pipe. It is attached to the pipe via a rubber plumbing adapter for 3" to 5" (I think) PVC pipe. The fan is a bit too big to fit the 5" end, so I temporarily fastened it with wide masking tape while I'm thinking of a permanent way to mount it. It is working so well, though, that I have put off changing it indefinitely.

At the bottom I used a hole saw to cut as many 1" holes I could fit around the perimeter. The pipe is just standing on the bottom of the freezer, wherever it will fit, sucking up the coldest air from the floor and blowing it out a few inches below the lid. This helps preventing cold air from collecting at the bottom and warmer air at the top around the taps and hoses.

I wish I could remember who to credit for this idea, because I saw or read about it first here on HBT.

Tags
frigidaire, keezer, kegerator

Quick Reply