Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Conical Fermenter Chiller/Heater Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #21
JasonO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stainless coil should work nice, now I just need to get the right compression fittings and get the lid welded.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
JasonO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Today's update. Correct hardware has arrived! I will be able to install the loop in the fermenter tomorrow (see pic below)

Also I have been thinking of ways to access and record the data. Using a powershell script I am parsing the webpage created by the arduino and importing the data into a sql database. From there I will be creating a reporting page and soon control hosted by IIS.

Test data in the SQL table

Compression fittings for loop

Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #23
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you might want to try silver soldering those fittings in the lid. also, you might want to just use a POST or GET method from the arduino to a webserver on the local network. seems a bit more legit than scraping the data with a script.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #24
JasonO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My plan is to have the historical data stored in SQL so I can work on some charting. The powershell script is quite simple and runs every 5 minutes on my server.

I am also thinking about being able to setup a fermentation profile on the site, the arduino will pull the thermostat setting from there and the site store the profile in a separate sql table.

I was reading about the solder method but I have a friend who can weld stainless. I'm planning on brewing Sunday so for this batch I may just attach the compression fitting with a nut while I work on adding the fittings to another lid.

-Jason

Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
slakwhere
Recipes 

so would you be storing the times/temps for the profile on the server and have the arduino query where it should be periodically? or query once at the beginning of the cycle once and then just use that data for the ferm schedule? if you pull it once i could see problems with power cycles of the device causing it to start over. you'd want to breadcrumb your results so you start where you left off or run off a time server to ensure you know when in the fermentation profile you are.

i would love to tell my fermentation chamber "hey, run this on WLP051 pattern: 67 for 5 days, then 68 for a day, 69 for a day, 70 for 2 days, then email and let me know my beer is ready for transfer".

Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
JasonO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
so would you be storing the times/temps for the profile on the server and have the arduino query where it should be periodically? or query once at the beginning of the cycle once and then just use that data for the ferm schedule? if you pull it once i could see problems with power cycles of the device causing it to start over. you'd want to breadcrumb your results so you start where you left off or run off a time server to ensure you know when in the fermentation profile you are.

i would love to tell my fermentation chamber "hey, run this on WLP051 pattern: 67 for 5 days, then 68 for a day, 69 for a day, 70 for 2 days, then email and let me know my beer is ready for transfer".
So that is exactly my plan, the time/temp will be stored in a sql table and a webpage will host that for the arduino to grab. I'll set the timeout on the arduino to 5 minutes and it will grab the correct setting for that point in time. I won't have that up and running day 1 (tomorrow) but shortly after.

-Jason

Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #27
JasonO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, tried soldering the 2 fittings to the keg lid today. First attempts did not go so well. I cleaned up everything and am going to try again tomorrow. My one main issue was getting everything equally heated.

The good news is on the software side. The logging script have been running since yesterday and have pulled data from the Arduino to SQL every 5 minutes perfectly.

-Jason

Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #28
JasonO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Failed to get the hardware complete today before brewing, hopefully some time this week it will be done. I've been playing around with a reporting website. Here is the very rough early start.

-Jason

Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #29
slakwhere
Recipes 

have you seen COSM? might be a good way to handle the logging...

https://cosm.com/how_it_works

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/real...r-60-a-370966/

Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #30
JasonO
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakwhere View Post
have you seen COSM? might be a good way to handle the logging...

https://cosm.com/how_it_works

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/real...r-60-a-370966/
Funny I was just reading that thread. So my friend uses this to monitor his home hvac. I think I may play around with this a bit. I don't have much free space on the Arduino now but I am going to try and squeeze something in.

Also small update today, Lid is finished and tomorrow I am hopefully going to get everything testing.

-Jason

Quick Reply