New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Computer fan panel for ferm chamber air circulation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Beernik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default LED Computer fan panel for ferm chamber air circulation question

I got the idea for this build because I have this nice premounted computer in a piece of plexiglass. I was going to wire and mount a couple more fans next to it and run them off an old phone charger. Then I'm going to hang this thing from the top of my ferm chamber freezer to circulate the air.

Right now I have a desk fan doing that job and it's not exactly the most energy efficient method. Replacing a desk fan with three computer fans has to be a lot cheaper.

Anyway, the center fan has four diodes that light up when it's running. Do I need to worry about them skunking up beer if I decide to use a glass carboy in there? If so I have a couple options for replacing it.

Or I could try snipping the wires to them. But I don't know if they are in series or parallel with the fan motor.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
big_len
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I will get a transatlantic flight to Salt Lake City and personally eat that fan if it skunks any beer up

But if you do want rid of them, the LEDs are not likely to be in series with the motor - just snip a lead or whatever you can get at.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Beernik
Recipes 

I found the wires for them an snipped them. Fan still works. I could always solder them back together if I wanted it working again.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Finished the fan panel today. Now I just need someone to buy my two old couches so I can access my ferm chamber and install it.

Quick Reply