Cold Room AC Unit dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Hopefully some of you guys who have done this can answer my questions.

I bought this 5K BTU Zenith room AC unit from HD for $99 to cool the Brewhaus cold room.

ColdRoomACUnit.jpg

As you might be able to see, the whole unit is not much more than 12" deep. What concerns me is the thickness of my walls with the wacked out way the air comes out of the top of the unit.

I'm figuring on about 6" of wall with insulation. This unit has about 3-4" of space between the vents on the top and the cold air vents.

Any thoughts?

Yes. Frame in a "window" opening about 6" larger than the AC unit and frame a panel inside that opening with the appropriate thickness materials.

windowac.JPG

Yes. Frame in a "window" opening about 6" larger than the AC unit and frame a panel inside that opening with the appropriate thickness materials.

I kinda figured that. That might reach a PIA threshold compared to returning this unit if I can find a different one with a better configuration. Thanks.

I kinda figured that. That might reach a PIA threshold compared to returning this unit if I can find a different one with a better configuration. Thanks.

Is this new construction or old work? If new, just cut one stud and put in a header/footer plate and you've got a window opening. 5min tops. For the "window" itself, I'd just use a couple 2x4's installed flat. All in all, it'd take less time than driving there a return.

window2.JPG

Is this new construction or old work? If new, just cut one stud and put in a header/footer plate and you've got a window opening. 5min tops. For the "window" itself, I'd just use a couple 2x4's installed flat. All in all, it'd take less time than driving there a return.

It quasi new construction. Inside is not finished. It will be fairly simple to do the work since I have not even framed out the cold room yet.
Thanks pldoolittle. This may be what I end up doing. Love the artwork! It has a certain SouthParkness too it! :mug:

I can still return the unit, but I need to find a replacement with analog controls.

Anyone bypass the digital controls on window AC units?

ED, I agree with John return it. I think the more conventional 8K BTU unit might be better, it's only about $60 more.

Awesome job on the A/C John!

if you're not venting the hot air, you're not doing much in the long run.

Get a bigger AC. Even if you box in the little one, it still won't keep up.

B

if you're not venting the hot air, you're not doing much in the long run.

Get a bigger AC. Even if you box in the little one, it still won't keep up.

B

no venting inside the room in that diagram. and those little 5k units work fine depending on the size of room, insulation, and sealing of the room.

Area To Be Cooled
(square feet) Capacity Needed (Btu's per hour)

100 to 150 5,000
150 to 250 6,000
250 to 300 7,000
300 to 350 8,000
350 to 400 9,000
400 to 450 10,000
450 to 550 12,000
500 to 700 14,000
700 to 1,000 18,000

so if keeping the size of the toom to 10x10 8 foot ceiling will be fine.

no venting inside the room in that diagram. and those little 5k units work fine depending on the size of room, insulation, and sealing of the room.

Area To Be Cooled
(square feet) Capacity Needed (Btu's per hour)

100 to 150 5,000
150 to 250 6,000
250 to 300 7,000
300 to 350 8,000
350 to 400 9,000
400 to 450 10,000
450 to 550 12,000
500 to 700 14,000
700 to 1,000 18,000

so if keeping the size of the toom to 10x10 8 foot ceiling will be fine.

Actually, its no where near that high BTUs as you aren't taking into consideration the extra R-Value his cold room will have. My walk-in only loses something around 1k BTU per hour...

Actually, its no where near that high BTUs as you aren't taking into consideration the extra R-Value his cold room will have. My walk-in only loses something around 1k BTU per hour...

exactly why the 5k unit will be fine for Ed.

Yes, I agree it has enough BTUs to cool the area - the problem I see is in the design of the unit itself as the walls of the room will likely be 6~8" thick.

true but if framed in like the diagram it would work. but better to just find a different one that has front venting. a through wall unit if homedepot sells them. forget if i seen them.

Ed you just might have to frame it that away above just for the venting. looking at others on homedepot.com seems most are built for window mount. that is if homedepot is the only place that has them.

I just took back the little units and got a full refund at HD on them. I'm now looking at pulling the 10K unit out of of it's hole and replacing it with a 12K Cool/Heat unit from HD and then using the 10k unit for the cold room.

This will give me extra cooling power for the brewhaus, solve how I was going to heat the place, and now give me extra cooling power for the cold room.

This is the unit I am looking at.

LG Electronics 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner with Remote - LWHD1200HR at The Home Depot

Back