Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Closed System Brewing Kettle....Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
fifelee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Closed System Brewing Kettle....Project

Call me overly paranoid, but I had an idea to create a complete closed system brewing system. It isn’t quite done, but this is the first step. Here is how I envision it working.

1. With about 15min left in the boil prop the lid on the edge of the kettle with the cooling coils in the boil.
2. With about 1min left seal the lid down. I still need to build a clamp that goes through the keg handles, put a silicone seal around the lid’s perimeter, and install a HEPA filter in the lid to allow the kettle to breath.
3. Start my pump and the cooling coil to create Jamil’s whirlpool immersion chiller.
4. After cooled I can let the trub settle for a long time and not worry about contamination as the kettle is sealed.
5. In the meantime I will fill a carboy with sanitizer and drain it with MoreBeer’s Sterile Siphon Starter.
6. Finally I will connect my kettle to the Sterile Siphon Starter to fill my fermentor.

Now I just need to figure out how to aerate and pitch the yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

+1 on you being paranoid. I know we all build some crazy systems, but a sealed kettle with a HEPA filter? This just seems like too, too much!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

slight overkill....fun idea though. Why are you so paranoid though? have you had contaminated batches or what?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
fifelee

Recipes 

Ouch. No bad contamination issues, but I did get sick of covering my kettle with foil while cooling. It is very windy in central Montana and I don't like dirt blowing into my cooled wort. At first I was just going to mount my chiller into the lid so I wouldn't have to waste foil, then I figured why the hell not take it to the extreme. Heck with this system I would feel comfortable leaving the wort overnight if my yeast starter wasn't ready or if it was a late brew and I wanted sleep. But my main reason is ... because I wanted to see if I could.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee View Post
Ouch. No bad contamination issues, but I did get sick of covering my kettle with foil while cooling. It is very windy in central Montana and I don't like dirt blowing into my cooled wort. At first I was just going to mount my chiller into the lid so I wouldn't have to waste foil, then I figured why the hell not take it to the extreme. Heck with this system I would feel comfortable leaving the wort overnight if my yeast starter wasn't ready or if it was a late brew and I wanted sleep. But my main reason is ... because I wanted to see if I could.
Its a cool idea I really like your lid I think I might make something like it to hold my chiller in place. I dont like the idea of puting a lid on a kettle untill flame out so I might make mine w/ a hinge and hinge 1/2 of it so I can keep it open untill flamout. I will have to work on some sort of a O2 injection system
Cheers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
I lived in Kalispell and Whitefish for a while so i know where your coming from. Personally i have a sanatized carboy handy and i pour the wort in semi hot and let it cool with foil over that. I never had a problem leaving that overnight. Its a cool project- i didint mean to seem condescending however its alot of money for copper and supplies when its something you could do with foil. Good luck

Old 10-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
fifelee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
I lived in Kalispell and Whitefish for a while so i know where your coming from. Personally i have a sanatized carboy handy and i pour the wort in semi hot and let it cool with foil over that. I never had a problem leaving that overnight. Its a cool project- i didint mean to seem condescending however its alot of money for copper and supplies when its something you could do with foil. Good luck
Already had the lid and cooling coil so no extra expense. No worries. I just built a trebuchet out of 100% duct tape to see if I could, so I am used to people thinking my ideas are a bit off . By the way, I just left Kalispell. Worked for Semitool for 7 years. I sure miss that area.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

what are the little white keepers you put your copper tubing through? Where did you get them?
JJ

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
fifelee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
what are the little white keepers you put your copper tubing through? Where did you get them?
JJ
They are pieces of plastic that I machined to fit tightly around the copper pipe.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
They are pieces of plastic that I machined to fit tightly around the copper pipe.
Nice! Looks like I have a bit of work to do.
Cheers
JJ

Quick Reply