HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cleaning in place

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Cleaning in place

I'm in the process of designing my indoor electric brewery. As I lifted my very heavy 15 gallon kettle today to dump the water out of it after cleaning, I was thinking how great it would be to be able to clean the system without having to lift things.

So how do CIP setups work? How do you get all of the cleaning solution out of the bottom of the kettle? Even the best diptube will leave a quart or so down there.

Thanks!

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Time to put an overhead hoist in the garage??

Are you in the new house yet?

Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Interested in this as well. I'm guessing you pump as much of the cleaning solution out of the boil kettle, MLT or whatever and then rinse it with water and pump the water through the system.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
buffalobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

wet/dry shop vac as much as you can then rinse as above?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have thought about this too. The only thing I have come up with is using a spray ball that you run OxiClean or PBR through after the brewday. 2 things would be required, a tight sealing lid and a center drain, probably like 1" or more to get the debris out. I think it would be worth the effort after a few hundred batches, but I am not ready to bite the bullet yet...

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've cleaned in place for the last 5 brews or so. If someone is over brewing with me, we'll carry the MLT out back and dump it on the compost pile but for the most part I clean in place both with and without my shop vac.

Clean in place doesn't necessarily mean hands completely off so the whole spray ball thing isn't necessary. To me, CIP means I don't move my vessels off the stand and I don't dismantle anything. I scrub the tough stuff by hand and recirculate hot Oxyclean too. After I drain most of the liquid out, I spray out with the garden hose and drain again. Any leftover water gets sucked out with a big grout sponge and wrung out.

If you're set up with a wet/dry shop vac, you'll want the wet filter installed. I also found that I had to rig up an extra large splatter shield inside to keep grain from getting lodged in that filter. They may have redesigned them since I got mine. The downside to the vac use is that you still have to carry the bin and dump it and hose out the hose. So, I don't love cleaning the cleaning equipment.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Just had a thought, if you used a mesh bag like the brew-in-a-bag method to line the mash tun then all you need to remove the spent grain is to pull the bag out, then rinse, cleaner, rinse, sanitiser.
Why were you lifting a full kettle, can you drain it through the valve first?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Matt: I was not lifting the full kettle - there was maybe 1/2 gallon of liquid in it. But the 15 gallon Morebeer kettle is very heavy and unwieldy. It's not like I'm killing myself, but it'd certainly be easier to not have to drag it around.

-Joe

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
dozer4412
Recipes 

Along with the clean in place idea, people that recirculate hot Oxyclean or PBW is this safe to dump on your lawn? I’m working on a Brutus clone and had planned to do just that, but never thought about if pumping my PBW out into the yard would cause any problems like say killing my grass. Everything I’ve read says PBW is environmentally friendly and biodegradable, but I thought I’d ask before trying it myself.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4521 Times on 4242 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Pumps and return hoses. That is CIP.

Quick Reply