Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > chest freezer + love tss2. What did you guys do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
julian81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default chest freezer + love tss2. What did you guys do?

I've searched the forums and probably ready every thread on this controller, and while there is a wealth of info, I do have some very basic questions I'm hoping you folks can answer.

I just ordered one of these controllers but now kind of questioning whether I should have gone the easier route and just got a Ranco dual stage prewired.

First, how do you guys end up mounting this thing? internally or externally? If internally, does all the wiring then run inside, and back out through a drilled hole to some kind of outlet so you can actually plug the freezer into it?

And as for heating, do you have that outlet external or internal?

Really, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to plug everything in, and maybe have the controller mounted in some way, so it's not just dangling or resting on a table/shelf next to the freezer.

The way I see it, at least 1 hole will need to be drilled and sealed/caulked for the temp probe. I'd also like the option to put my stir plate/yeast starter in the chest freezer so I'd need either an outlet in there to do that, or to run the stir plate wire through that same temp probe hole. I'm pretty sure putting an outlet IN the freezer is not recommended for moisture + electricity concerns...

I know it's probably semantics to you guys, but i'm really just looking for some examples, either pics or description, of exactly how you guys wire/mount and run these things.

Oh and I'm interested in what TomSD did here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/another-tss2-controller-box-build-195713/

Just might make a few modifications (all outlets on the same side) and figure out how to mount it in/on the freezer.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Julian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I mounted mine to the front door next to the door hinge. I tapped into the actual fridge wiring so all the wiring is inside. For the heater I just put a small heater inside and have it directly wired to the TSS2

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytoptim View Post
I mounted mine to the front door next to the door hinge. I tapped into the actual fridge wiring so all the wiring is inside. For the heater I just put a small heater inside and have it directly wired to the TSS2

Oh ok, that's for an upright. I really like the idea of mounting it INTO the surface of the freezer, but all my wiring for the freezer is external. There is nothing on the inside except flat surfaces for storage. The dial (1-7 for coldness) is also external. It's a Kenmore Heavy Duty chest freezer (about 8cu ft) I got off craigslist.

If I were to mount the unit into the lid/front of the freezer, I'd then have wires go through the inside and back out a drilled hole to the back, no? And as for the heater inside, did you just cut the plug off the end and splice it into your controller?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On the heater I just cut the plug off and then connected to the TSS2.

I toyed with mounting it externally but like the look of having it mounted to the fridge. If you mount it externally you will still need to run temp probe wire inside. If you have to make a hole anyway might as well run freezer wires from back to the TSS2. Its up to you to decide what you want. Thats just my 2 Cents

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
electrichead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I just have no idea how this freezer is wired. There's a small uncovered panel in the bottom right on the outside rear of the freezer that has a bunch of wires going to the compressor and then on the opposite side of the freezer is a dial (1-7, 7 being coldest) but this dial is also external. There is no internal thermostat or anything on the inside. I can take pics when I get home, but from that description, any idea how I might start the wiring?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

electrichead: see I like that, but I don't have a collar to work with and don't plan on making one for this ferm chamber. I'm just wondering if I should go to the effort making those amount of holes in my actual freezer walls. Is that dangling wire the temp probe?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
electrichead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

How tall is the lid?

Excuse the terrible paint diagram of a freezer lid, but how about something like this?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Mine was built with the main purpose of being portable and multli-function. If you are doing something more permanent I wouldn't build a box.

As for mounting it without a collar... you might want to mount it in the lid. Either facing up or, if the lid is thick enough, facing front. From there I would just wire everything directly to the controller instead of messing with plugs. Mounting it in one of the walls is risky as you might hit something important and kill your freezer.

As for a spare outlet(s)... you could mount them inside if that is where the devices are going to plug in at. That would mean only two cords need to exit/enter the freezer. One being your power supply and the other being to the freezer.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
julian81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrichead View Post
How tall is the lid?

Excuse the terrible paint diagram of a freezer lid, but how about something like this?
I'm not sure how to read this, but I'd like to stay away from the lid since I don't want wires running down through it which could jiggle/move everytime I open it up.

Quick Reply