Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chest Freezer to Keezer Conversion: MikeE's DIY build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #51
EasyE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...1&d=1326994945

I attached two pics of the new aluminum I put inside the collar of the keezer. I had to remove the old aluminum because after closing the keezer lid, some of the aluminum was outside the keezer, and condensation would form, causing the walnut to get wet. I was concerned that the long term damage from condensation would harm the walnut, so I ripped it out and folded new. The new aluminum only wraps around the pink insulation. No nails, just folds so it fold tight together. The folds on the aluminum required a friend of mine to bring over his aluminum bend, which made the folds clean. I used aluminum scissors to make the final cuts. It took me 2 tries to finally get it right. Now I have no issues with water on the walnut, and the clean look inside is another bonus.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...1&d=1326994945
mail.jpeg   mail-1.jpeg  
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #52
jeffsciv23
Recipes 

wow, thanks for posting up your build. looks great. i built a kegerator with a tower out of a mini fridge last summer but need to get something bigger and thought a keezer would be perfect. theres alot of options when it comes to towers, shanks in the collar, enclosing the keezer in wood. im not totally decided on what to do yet. ide like a tower and will probly have to do a collar with it as well. would there be room in that freezer for a 1/2brl and a corny on the hump? i dont brew my own yet but would like to try and start. oh and love the look of your temp control in the collar.

and for the guy that posted the wiring diagram (sorry forgot the name), thanks. if i went with a fan i would like it to kick on when the compressor is on, so wouldnt i just use position 7 and 11 instead of 7 and 10 like your doing?

last question. is there a minimum collar size need to use to fit a corny on the hump?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #53
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

those definitely helped a lot!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #54
jeffsciv23
Recipes 

do you have anymore pictures of how you mounted the wheels?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #55
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsciv23 View Post
do you have anymore pictures of how you mounted the wheels?
I looked, must have erased them. The only pic I have is posted on page 3. I found mounting the wheels to be one of the the easier part of the DIY project. I cut the "strap tight" strips into rectangles, then drilled 4 holes in each of them using my metal step drill bit. It just gave me more surface area to mount the casters which has a base the shape of a rectangle, so I cut the the strap rite an inch or two longer for screws and a more sturdy fit.

Two of the wheels will have plenty of freezer space to mount them, easy to mount with four screws in each. The other two wheels did not have very much freezer to mount wheels too, due to the fact that they were under the hump of the freezer. I just fit 2 bolts and 2 screws on each of the wheels under the hump. When you flip dat keezer, you will see. When I did mine, I was poundin' dem pints!

I found the "strap tight" at the home depot in the lumber section, used to join large pieces of wood. They are easy to cut to the size you want. I went out and measured each of the rectangles.....all were cut to 2 inch by 6 inch. 4 bolts w nuts, 12 self screws just less than an inch long.

I'm listening to my yeast starter swirling behind right now, almost like a water fountain at work. I'm brewing a Weizenbock in the morning, it's like 10 degrees here in southeast Michigan. Post some pics here when you finish with your build.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #56
jeffsciv23
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. This keezer project is alot more planning then my kegerator build lol. I love the look of the black with wood, but I want a tower. Think it would be to high if I was to use same freezer and collar height as you? How tall is yours anyways? Sorry for all the questions but I just want this planned out before I get started.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #57
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So you used self tapping metal screws to fix the wheels / plates to the bottom of the freezer? Just got my 7 cf GE chest freezer, and picked up some casters from Menards on the way home... Thanks for the info! Amazing build!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #58
ScottJB1980
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy
I copied the aluminum idea for my keezer after seeing this. I couldn't find the black so I just went with silver. I ended up using 14 inch flashing. It looks great, but it does dent fairly easily. If I did it again I'd use heavier aluminum. It is tedious to bend and cut, but it's worth it in the end. It's easy to clean, it keeps moisture from getting to the wood inside the keexer, it seals better around the top and bottom, and looks really nice.
Do you have any pictures showing how your flashing turned out?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #59
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well!!!!, I am one jealous newby. That set of pics was absolutely most beautimus. I like the detail and clean lines all tucked away and out of sight. The exterior and the stainless base just fit. Thanks for giving me some really nice project ideas for next fall.
Bob

Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #60
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannedry View Post
So you used self tapping metal screws to fix the wheels / plates to the bottom of the freezer? Just got my 7 cf GE chest freezer, and picked up some casters from Menards on the way home... Thanks for the info! Amazing build!

Yes, self tapping screws. Please post pics of your build as every keezer is unique and cool! the wheels go on easy, and the screws/bolts hold it firmly in place. Once the wheels go on, the keezer comes alive.....

Quick Reply