Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chest Freezer to Keezer Conversion: MikeE's DIY build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
marrty24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome build! Did you ever think of using a bigger freezer so you could divide the space for fermentation? I'm planning on doing something similar but I want to create a space for lagering too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

"Hey Easy, how did you make the molding for the sides of the collar?"

1. First I planed and cut each 10-foot board to exact size: 1.2 in. x 8 in. Oh walnut smells good when cut!

2. Second, I cut the wood to match the collar to the size of the chest freezer. Then I mitered each corner, dove tailed each join, and bam!

3. To avoid drilling holes in the freezer edge, I decided to cut strips of walnut and nail them to the outside bottom edge of the collar. This keeps the collar in place. The collar sits on the freezer, with the strips keeping it in place.

4. I repeated this for the top of the collar, cutting an L shape in each strip, with the longer part of the L covering the top of the collar edge. I nailed this strip to the collar, nailed the aluminum to it. I used a table saw to cut these to size, adjusting the blade height to create the different strips for the top, bottom, and the corner of the collar.

I got so wrapped up in the collar build that I forgot to take pictures of the process.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's a pic of the underside of the collar, here I am running the power cord toward the back. Pic is not so good, but you can see the how the walnut strips are attached.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...1&d=1304702864

screen-shot-2011-05-06-1.24.24-pm.jpg  

Old 05-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #24
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The casters allow me to move the keezer so I can rack from fermenter to keg, avoid lifting full corny keg over collar. A bit pricey, but solid wheels for your keezer is a must, cuz I plan to put some miles on them between my fermenter and my keezer spot.

That's a pint of Belgium training wheels. We tend to tinker during the winter here in Michigan....

Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #25
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...1&d=1304735827
casters.jpg  

Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #26
EasyE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrty24 View Post
Awesome build! Did you ever think of using a bigger freezer so you could divide the space for fermentation? I'm planning on doing something similar but I want to create a space for lagering too.
I'm not sure if I would go too much bigger, but a place to crash cool a carboy is great. I just wait till I got an empty keg, then throw the carboy in. I have really enjoyed having one extra long CO2 line so I can rig up a bottling gun and bottle from the keg.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...1&d=1305075321
dsc_0092.jpg  

Old 05-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #27
BrewBeer4fun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beautiful build! I was so inspired by this thread and build that I am now building mine off this design. I went with a 9 cu. ft. freezer from Lowes instead of the 7.2 because it was only $264. It arrives tomorrow and I am psyched. I am going to use 2x6" oak board instead of walnut that I also picked up at Lowes. And, instead of the perlick faucets (which are top shelf but about $12/ea more than the ones I picked up at the same site. I am also only doing three instead of four because I can never see myself serving four brews at one time. I never throw parties anymore so it will only be for personal consumption. I hadn't realized how truly expensive the whole build was going to be however because I saw no prices listed here. I am into it for at Least $700 so far and I still need some odds and ends before my parts list is complete. I can't wait to start building it tomorrow! Thanks again for the great pics and post build advice.

"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"

Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #28
Scruffy1207
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want this

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #29
2puttbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeer4fun View Post
[snip] I hadn't realized how truly expensive the whole build was going to be however because I saw no prices listed here. I am into it for at Least $700 so far and I still need some odds and ends before my parts list is complete. [snip]
FWIW, I was originally looking to purchase a standard dual-tap kegerator, and I did a lot of research because I didn't want to buy a cheap one and have it crap out on me ... I learned that it was going to be close to $1,000 ... then I was referred to this site by a forum user on the MM site, and realized that for the same money (or less) I could build one that would fit into my decor (i.e., MUCH higher SWMBO rating) and provide additional value as well (room for bottles, chilled glasses, etc.)!

I also thought I was going to be able to get a third tap out of the deal, but alas I did not do my homework because I cannot fit a third sixth on the floor (good move on your part going with a slightly larger unit) ... but that could be a blessing in disguise, because I must admit being worried about losing some beer to spoilage if SWMBO and I didn't drink it fast enough, but no worries now.

One good recommendation for saving a few bucks is to build your own temperature controller, referring to the eBay controller thread. I built mine for less than $45, including an $11 heavy duty power cord and left over wire, grommets, etc.

Have fun on your build, and good luck!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
chipsah
Off the Wagon Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Very clean. Great job man.

-r

Off the Wagon Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn_Brewer View Post
My theory is that OCD is only a disorder if you don't know how to channel it.

Quick Reply