New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > chest freezer conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
outofmire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default chest freezer conversion

I have a question about converting a chest freezer. Do you guys have problems with the freezer failing after just a couple of years, even for a new freezer. See, I'm thinking of doing this, but I've been reading online stories of them failing cuz these freezers weren't designed to be run so warm. The metal used for the internal tubing rusts when the temps are above freezing. Any word on this?

Shae

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The only issue I have realized is that keezers are prone to moisture and condensation. The interior seams can become a little bit rusty. Some attempt to caulk the seams when new to try and avoid this "cosmetic defect. Other than the inside of the keezer slowly aging, I feel a freezer turned keezer should last a good long time. of course, YMMV...hah.

Oh one other point, set a fairly large, say at least 5 degree temp. swing on the controller so the unit does not cycle too often. The brew will still stay at a very constant temp due to the great mass even w/ a wide swing on the controller.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 09-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A small container of Damp Rid has kept my keezer totally dry, hopefully preventing rust issues. As suggested, I also keep mine on a 4 degree swing to reduce the number of times the compressor turns on and off. The one I bought new only cost $157, so even if it does die after a few years, whatever. It's not like its a car or something...

Old 09-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
outofmire
Recipes 

I'm not talking about the compressor failing, and not just cosmetic rust. I'm talking about the internal tubing, like the evaporator coils corroding, sometimes in just a couple of years.

Here's a quote:

Quote:
unless they have radicaly changed the construction materials in the 20+ years since I was a fridge mechanic, they are doomed to a relatively short lifespan.

You see, ice doesn't cause rusting, only liquid water does. So most of the chest freezers for the last 40+ years use "bundy" tubing (rolled steel), since they are always frozen.

After a few years of use, moisture from the foam and air builds up around the pipes. This is not a problem, so long as the pipes stay below 0 degrees C. But as soon as its above 0, they start corroding.

This is why turning off a chest freezer and storing it for a few months would often result in it springing gas leaks and irrepairably failing. The frost becomes water, and corrosion takes off
So this makes me really wonder how long some of you have been using your keezers. From what I've read the newer models have crappy compressors anyway, so the compressor issue is really irrelevent, but I just wanted to know if anyone is experiencing the other problem with corroded pipes, leaking gas, etc.

Thanks,
Shae

Old 09-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine gets brown, but not rust - it is the slop of beer

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The coils in chest freezers are concealed within the walls and not exposed. The compressors in the newer units are more efficient and every bit as reliable as the older models. Upright freezers sometimes have evaporator coils attached to the shelving. I have one of that type and it's been running for years without any problem whatsoever. I have three freezers total and none have given me any trouble. I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. The compressors are not working nearly as hard as they would be when maintaining sub zero temperatures.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
outofmire
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Munsoned;1528247]A small container of Damp Rid has kept my keezer totally dry, hopefully preventing rust issues. QUOTE]

How often do you have to replace the damp rid?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Dunno, mine's been running for about 4 years with no problem other than the mold experiment when I turned it down to use it as a fermentation chamber and didn't dry it properly. I'll probably start using a bit of damp rid.

Last edited by dantodd; 09-05-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
jefferson
Recipes 

Sounds like a long way of saying - No, none else replying to this thread has had this problem

Quick Reply