The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chest freezer: to bypass (or not) the thermostat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
paledragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest freezer: to bypass (or not) the thermostat

So I built a chest freezer fermentation chamber to use with a sankey. I'm amazed at how exposed and simple to follow all of the freezer wiring is. In fact, the connection from the thermostat to the compressor is actually done with electrical quick connects. I had planned on just plugged the chest freezer into a Love TSS2 controller. Is there any advantage to bypassing the freezer thermostat and wiring the compressor directly to the Love? Compressor life? Better temperature control? I've got the Love temperature probe in a 6" thermowell in the side of the sankey.

My previous means of temperature control was ice bottles and a brew belt, so I'm hella excited to not have to obsessively monitor a sticker on the side of better bottle.

Thanks,

p.d.

keg 1: 3 hearted ale
keg 2: british strong ale
keg 3: munich helles
keg 4: empty

on deck: more IPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I just cranked my kegerator thermostat wide open and let the Love controller do the work.

On my Fermenatrix, the thermostat was in the way so it went bye-bye.

If you ever have plans to use the freezer as a freezer again (without the Love,) you should just leave the thermostat inline.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by paledragon View Post
So I built a chest freezer fermentation chamber to use with a sankey. I'm amazed at how exposed and simple to follow all of the freezer wiring is. In fact, the connection from the thermostat to the compressor is actually done with electrical quick connects. I had planned on just plugged the chest freezer into a Love TSS2 controller. Is there any advantage to bypassing the freezer thermostat and wiring the compressor directly to the Love? Compressor life? Better temperature control? I've got the Love temperature probe in a 6" thermowell in the side of the sankey.

My previous means of temperature control was ice bottles and a brew belt, so I'm hella excited to not have to obsessively monitor a sticker on the side of better bottle.

Thanks,

p.d.
If you understand the wiring and use properly rated relays, it shouldn't make a difference. The only exception would be if the freezer thermostat has some kind of mechanism to keep the compressor from cycling on and off too quickly. If it has that, you wouldn't want to bypass it. As far as degree of control goes, it shouldn't make a difference.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post
I just cranked my kegerator thermostat wide open and let the Love controller do the work.

On my Fermenatrix, the thermostat was in the way so it went bye-bye.

If you ever have plans to use the freezer as a freezer again (without the Love,) you should just leave the thermostat inline.

B
Are you suggesting that you cant use the Love controller to freeze?

My Love TS-2 that I have on my kegerator has a temp range of -58F to 302F

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply