Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chest Freezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
jgbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chest Freezer

So I have been searching craigslist religiously for a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber. Most of the freezers I have found are about 10 years old give or take a year or so. My question is, how long do these units last? I know that is partly dependent on the cycling of the compressor. Keep in mind I am in Arizona and these freezers have most likely been in garages that average 120F. I guess I am looking for some testimony that either says yeah they die around 15 years or I have a 20 year old freezer that runs just fine. Thanks HBT.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
rcm_rx7
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have an answer for ya but wanted to add something to the discussion. I have passed on several old and cheap chest freezers because I would assume they are less efficient and more expensive to keep running. The only help I can add is that I have seen plenty of 10-15 year old running chest freezers for sale. But maybe there is a reason people are getting rid of them.

Fermentation Chamber Project

Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My last freezer was made in 1974. Some may only lasts 10 years. Most do last a long time, especially when used for fermentation, they cycle way less than when used for freezing.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anything older than 1993 an older is wasting approx 55-70% Energy
2002 or older 40-50%
Compaired to new HIGH Effeciency Appliances.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've been in the valley for almost 50 years and have only lost one freezer. And that one was inherited.

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 08-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
PvtSkippy
Recipes 

How big of a freezer are you looking for? My 20-ish year old freezer just went tango-uniform over the weekend and I got a 7 cu ft from Lowes on closeout for $158. It's big enough to hold two Better Bottles comfortably, which is what I was after.

I considered the Craigslist route, but as most of the listings were 50 miles or more from where I live, I decided I didn't want to waste $50 worth of gas to save $50 on a freezer that had unknown origins - and doesn't have a permanent stench of rotted meat.

Look around at the big box stores and see if they have scratch-and-dent or floor models for sale. They'll generally be cheaper and as a bonus, carry the factory warranty.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
jgbrown
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtSkippy View Post
How big of a freezer are you looking for? My 20-ish year old freezer just went tango-uniform over the weekend and I got a 7 cu ft from Lowes on closeout for $158. It's big enough to hold two Better Bottles comfortably, which is what I was after.

I considered the Craigslist route, but as most of the listings were 50 miles or more from where I live, I decided I didn't want to waste $50 worth of gas to save $50 on a freezer that had unknown origins - and doesn't have a permanent stench of rotted meat.

Look around at the big box stores and see if they have scratch-and-dent or floor models for sale. They'll generally be cheaper and as a bonus, carry the factory warranty.
I just want the capacity to have 2 carboys/buckets temperature controlled. My budget for this project is really 150$ max. Being a college kid really limits funds and after going all grain 6 months ago, I can't justify alloting more funds to brewing. I was really hoping to get away with a steal from craigslist. I guess I will just stay patient and narrow my searching to freezers that are 5 years old or newer. The semester starts up monday and I was really hoping to get some brew going . Thanks for the responses!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I just got a 5 year old chest freezer for $75 off of craigslist.

I suppose that's not much info, is it... I can only assume that it will last, since most freezers are good for at least 15-20 years, and it should be efficient since it's from 2004.

So I guess, basically, keep your eye out. They're out there, but you need to snap it up quick if you see it.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
Merlin-CO
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtSkippy View Post
I'll second this advice since I just picked myself up a Frigidaire 9.0cf at Lowes that was on clearance because it had a few minor dents in the lid (nothing compromising the insulation or efficiency of the unit). Saved myself $50 over the undented model and still has factory warranty. Definitely the way to go. Delivery on Friday and can't wait to start filling the kegs & chilling them down!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #10
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 7 - 10 year old chest freezer. You should be able to get one dirt cheap.

I've owned a couple. Lost both in a divorce. At the time they were probably 15 years old and still going strong. - Dwain

Quick Reply