The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheapest usable saw?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Bachhus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If your talking about cutting lenghts of plywood for the walls and you don't "need" a saw for future projects then I know HD will give you one free cut on a piece of wood with the purchase and only charges .25 or .50 for each additional cuts on their massive panel saws. This would be the cheapest way to get the 4'x8' plywood down to your needed size.

This combined with a $2 hand saw from a garage sale for 2x4's and your set for pretty much the cheapest you can.

Just an idea, good luck on the build!

mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
FireDancer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetrueruss View Post
So what kind of saw could I get to cut my wood at the correct angles etc that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg? I'm looking for effective and cheap.. hard work 100% ok. And if it requires me to acquire a whole new skillset.. all the better!
It is possible to build a chamber with only insulation, glue, tape, bailing wire, chalk, etc. However for some this would be too ugly or not sturdy enough.

If you want something that looks nice, maybe you can find a kitchen counter style cabinet from a remodel job. Call a carpenter or cabinet maker and offer him some homebrew for a good scoop.

Otherwise, I think a combo cordless Drill & Trim Saw would be about $250 or so. For me and my needs, a cordless drill was the best tool investment I ever made. I use that thing more than any other tool I have.

Investing in good basic tools will make all your next DYI projects cheaper and easier.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

$29.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ade-94245.html

Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can do a lot with a sliding compound miter saw

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...iter-saws.html

Old 01-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
It is possible to build a chamber with only insulation, glue, tape, bailing wire, chalk, etc. However for some this would be too ugly or not sturdy enough.

If you want something that looks nice, maybe you can find a kitchen counter style cabinet from a remodel job. Call a carpenter or cabinet maker and offer him some homebrew for a good scoop.

Otherwise, I think a combo cordless Drill & Trim Saw would be about $250 or so. For me and my needs, a cordless drill was the best tool investment I ever made. I use that thing more than any other tool I have.

Investing in good basic tools will make all your next DYI projects cheaper and easier.
I took cheapest literally.
I don't believe in buying cheap tools.
I own mostly Milwaukee power tools, and Craftsman hand tools.
Harbor Freight and the like is for throw aways.
Just bite the bullet and buy good brand name tools. They make doing DIY projects more enjoyable

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a thought.... if you have a closet you're already using, why not line that with foam insulation and make the chamber directly in the closet. No wood required, only insulation, tape, and your ice blocks and fans and what not in order to move the air around? Not sure if thats an option, but if it is, you wouldn't even need to buy a saw.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That HarborFreight 10" sliding compound at $110 looks the best for the features plus it will cut 12 3/16" wide boards. Sears still has the 10" compound;http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921236000P
For many years it was a 10" Delta compound with the Craftsman name on it.
I paid $87 for the Delta 10" compound in 1990 still a gem after tightening up and aligning it plus adding a aluminum cutting blade.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMMEE View Post
I have a thought.... if you have a closet you're already using, why not line that with foam insulation and make the chamber directly in the closet. No wood required, only insulation, tape, and your ice blocks and fans and what not in order to move the air around? Not sure if thats an option, but if it is, you wouldn't even need to buy a saw.
I would add a sheet metal pan sized to the closet 4" brake lip up for a containment chamber should you have a wild fermentation or accidently broken glass fermenter. The little lady will not be pleased should you have a flood from under the closet door. Invest in insulation plus a receptacle in the closet.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #19
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just get a decent corded circular saw. They're pretty cheap and you'll need it later anyway.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 AM   #20
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
Just get a decent corded circular saw. They're pretty cheap and you'll need it later anyway.
Yeah for the wife when she starts building a coffin for me. JK.

Quick Reply