Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & simple HERMS tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
skifast1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Cheap & simple HERMS tank

A post a while ago pointed me to http://www.djlarrylive.com (<--now broken) for a simple HERMS setup, so to prove imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I'm building almost the same system. These are just some in-progress shots to get the same thing Larry did:

Parts you'll need:
> 3-gallon cooler
> 1500W water heater heating element (got mine at True Value, but Home Depot has them too)
> Mounting kit for the element (usually hanging right next to them)

Tools:
> 1.5" hole saw bit (& drill)
> Dremel w/ side-cutting bit OR sharp utility knife/X-acto

Step 1: Find basic 3-gal cooler. This one came from Target

Step 2: Take the hole saw bit and go up right through the bottom of that sucker. Center the mounting plate over the hole you made and trace the outside. Use a dremel or similar tool to cut out the outer shell only. Don't go too deep into the foam or you'll go through the inner shell and you'll have to pitch the cooler (or use it as a planter). Use a flat dull blade to scrape out all the foam in the square hole you just made.

Step 3: Find something stiff (hey now) and poke a hole in the foam, going sideways from the square hole you just made towards the side of the cooler. You're basically making a channel between the inner & outer shells of the cooler for the wiring. Take a small drill bit and carefully make a hole on the outside about where you'd expect the end of the channel to be. Be extra cautious because the inner shell is really close to this corner and it's easier than you'd think to ding it. I did it once with the dremel bit and thankfully just got a little scratch on the surface (whew)

Step 4: Mark and drill for the bolts to mount the heating element (don't forget the o-ring & gasket), and tighten carefully so you don't crack the plastic. Edit: You may need to widen the hole very slightly for the mounting bracket; I did so by running a sharpie around the rim of the 1.5" hole I made originally and very carefully removing the width of the mark with the Dremel

That's it - took all of about 45 minutes of careful marking & cutting. Only things left to do are put some rubber feet on the bottom of the cooler (the element sticks out a 1/2" or so), make a little cover for the square hole and wire it up. Drop in your recirculating coils and stir motor and you've got yourself a HERMS tank!

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Last edited by skifast1; 09-29-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Indicated dead hyperlink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
JayC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did you have any problems with leaking? I tried to reproduce it, but it leaks like a sieve through the bolt holes. I tried gooping on some hi-temp silicone, and that slowed it, but didn't stop it. At this point I've got nothing to lose (except a trashed small cooler) so I'm going to just put some more silicone on.

I'll ferment anything that moves!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Did you have any problems with leaking? I tried to reproduce it, but it leaks like a sieve through the bolt holes. I tried gooping on some hi-temp silicone, and that slowed it, but didn't stop it. At this point I've got nothing to lose (except a trashed small cooler) so I'm going to just put some more silicone on.
Definitely had some leaks to start, and had the same experience with the hi-temp silicone. I ended up putting a rubber washer on the inside and a small o-ring on the outside (and a new layer of silicone), did the trick

Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
gtg644w
Recipes 

What materials are used in the resistance coil on your heating element ? Maybe a better question, what materials are safe to use with a system such as this?

I was hoping to build something similar.

Thanks,

David

Old 09-29-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are you plugging it through a GFCI?

- JVD_X

Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

After reading and looking at the pictures I now see the problem. You need a stainless support washer on the inside of the cooler because the material the cooler is made of can not seal flat against the plastic as it is too weak (especially when heated). The support washer would have a large hole in the center and 4 mounting screw holes and should be 3/16 thick to 1/4 inch thick so it will give full support.

I would also use a ground fault relay as water and electricity do not mix.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Last edited by WBC; 09-29-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
as water and electricity do not mix.
They mix VERY well. That's the problem!

I'd be tempted to use gasket material.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg644w View Post
What materials are used in the resistance coil on your heating element ? Maybe a better question, what materials are safe to use with a system such as this?

I was hoping to build something similar.

Thanks,

David
It's a standard 1500w water heater element, any hardware store carries them along with a fitted gasket (which as I discovered, doesn't seal against the plastic as well as it should)

Old 09-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
After reading and looking at the pictures I now see the problem. You need a stainless support washer on the inside of the cooler because the material the cooler is made of can not seal flat against the plastic as it is too weak (especially when heated). The support washer would have a large hole in the center and 4 mounting screw holes and should be 3/16 thick to 1/4 inch thick so it will give full support.

I would also use a ground fault relay as water and electricity do not mix.
Excellent suggestion on the washer/flange. You could also use a metal vessel for better structural support and wrap it with insulating material - maybe a cheap aluminum pot?

I absolutely use a GFI - see schematic of the system here

Quick Reply