Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap and easy aeration gadget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #61
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have experimented with this today, using water. I stuck a short (1 and 1/2 inch) piece of 5/16 I.D. tubing into the 3/8 I.D. tubing from my auto-siphon and attached another piece of 3/8 tubing about 2 and 1/2 feet long to the end of the 5/16 tube. I shoved each end of the 5/16 tubing about 3/8 inch up into the 3/8 tubing to leave about 3/4 inch of the 5/16 tubing exposed. It fits tightly enough that I didn't even need to use any hose clamps. I then drilled a single hole in the 5/16 I.D. tubing using a 3/32 inch drill bit (the actual hole diameter came out about 1/16 inch after the vinyl closed back up a little around the hole. This seems to work pretty well. With the exit from the tubing at the bottom of the carboy, the top surface of the water was bubbling - this seems like it would be better than just letting the stream fall down into the carboy from the top, though it might not really make much difference. I couldn't detect any significant difference in the amount of air being pulled into the tubing with the exit at the top or under water at the bottom of the carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #62
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76 View Post
One quick question. I usually do the bucket back and forth and then use a funnel with a screen. Do you get a lot of trub into the fermenter using this technique or does the autosiphon restrict that?

I suppose I could always try the whirlpool method.
The autosiphon won't restrict much except what's on the very bottom. Prior to using this device I used a paint strainer bag. Now I whirlpool before siphoning. It works pretty good. Frankly, I'm less and less worried about trub in the primary because it all settles out quite well anyway.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #63
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Forget my question. Figured it out.

Last edited by njnear76; 02-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #64
bnscherm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Extra points to the first person that uses a small engine carburetor to aerate there wort. The venturi is all ready built-in...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #65
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnscherm View Post
Extra points to the first person that uses a small engine carburetor to aerate there wort. The venturi is all ready built-in...
How about a fuel rail and injectors? You want oxygenation? Try atomization!

"There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions."
-Me

Primary: none
Secondary: American Light Lager
Bottled: Glücksweizen (closest to an amber wheat I guess).
Bottled: Apfelwein
Kegged: Cream Ale

Upcoming:a Brown Ale, and a Belgian Ale, maybe a Porter.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #66
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnscherm View Post
Yes but a carb relies on the air pumping action of an engine to pull the air through the venturi, and you'd have atomized beer.
My first attempt at this was to take my 1/2" ID hose coming off the ball valve on my kettle, and pushed (under heat) a 5/16" ID thick wall tube in, and I had a shut off clip inline to adjust venturi. I ended up with so much foam volcano that I lost a bit of wort. Next time I'll omit the clip and try that.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #67
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey all I'm having issues with mine.

I have 1/2" ID hoses on my pump, going into a 1/4" ID CFC (3/8" copper refrigeration tubing) then into 3/8" ID silicone tubing and then through a copper 1/4" ID tube with a 1/16" venturi hole in it.

I get water coming out the little hole as well as the end of the tube. I've also tried this with more 3/8" ID tubing on the other end of the copper piece.

Is it a problem with the copper tubing?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #68
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

conpewter
I had problems like that at first. Part of it was the orientation of the line, where the hole was drilled, and how much free fall the line had after the hole. You may have to try some different scenarios.
-Ben

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #69
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Hey all I'm having issues with mine.

I have 1/2" ID hoses on my pump, going into a 1/4" ID CFC (3/8" copper refrigeration tubing) then into 3/8" ID silicone tubing and then through a copper 1/4" ID tube with a 1/16" venturi hole in it.

I get water coming out the little hole as well as the end of the tube. I've also tried this with more 3/8" ID tubing on the other end of the copper piece.

Is it a problem with the copper tubing?
Wait did you say a pump? Does anybody have this method working using a pump? I don't have a pump but I know with my autosiphon, when I pump it through manually it squirts out the venturi holes. I believe it has to do with pushing the water through instead of pulling it through. Also, you said it goes from 3/8 tubing to 1/4 tubing with a hole correct? Mine goes from 3/8 to 1/4 with a hole, and BACK TO 3/8 again. You may want to try putting another section of larger diameter tubing after your venturi.

"There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions."
-Me

Primary: none
Secondary: American Light Lager
Bottled: Glücksweizen (closest to an amber wheat I guess).
Bottled: Apfelwein
Kegged: Cream Ale

Upcoming:a Brown Ale, and a Belgian Ale, maybe a Porter.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #70
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a short section on after the copper tube, but that didn't seem to help. Bernoulli's Principle should work no matter if it is a siphon or pump. All the schematics I see online though have a nice sloped transition from the larger tube to the smaller one to speed up the liquid.

One thing I did notice is that I didn't have my 3/8" ID silicone tube very well attached to the copper and it would actually suck in air through that faulty connection, but it would still normally dribble water out of the 1/16" hole. I wonder if it has to do with resistance after the hole, and the inside of the hole not being smooth.

I'll be trying other configurations tonight.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply