Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap and easy aeration gadget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #51
Donner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Forgive me if this was covered as I did not read all of some of the post but I did read Most of all of them :-).

When I transfer my wort to my carboy I always have my BK covered with a lid to keep unwanted wild yeast/bacteria out and I also keep a piece of alum foil over my carboy for the same reason. It seems to me that if I have a tube with hole in it OUTSIDE of my carboy it would draw in what I am trying to keep out?
As conpewter said, you have a few options, but i would like to add a few things.

Keeping unwanted bacteria and yeast out of your BK is fine, but it's almost impossible to do. The stuff is in the air. Generally, you really need to worry about the stuff that your wort comes into contact with on a surface.

Now, if you are brewing in a room full of mold, then yes, the air will be an issue, but general cleanliness will cut down your chances of infection greatly. You are really just trying to keep the amount of wild yeast to a small enough amount that your concentrated amount of brewers yeast will be able to 'win' any contest between the wild yeast and the brewers yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 AM   #52
BeerCanuck

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just thought I would show my take on the aeration gadget;

I like having a shutoff clamp at the top of the picture to maintain siphon and switch out carboys. The hose clamp secures the 3/8" inside diameter hose to 3/8" outside diameter venturi tube which connects to standard 1/2 racking cane.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #53
CnnmnSchnpps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Cool thread. I am just getting into home brewing and I remembered seeing one of these venturi devices at a wine tasting place once.

If anyone doubts the efficacy of this, try it with wine (especially, organic or "young" wine). The difference in taste before and after is quite impressive.

Anyway, a couple of theoretical questions:
- The length of the restricting tube should not matter to the strength of this effect, right?
- Has anyone tried to insert something into the tube after the venturi to break up the flow of wort? From the video above, it looks like you are getting a nice straight line of bubbles. Some turbulent flow might help "mix" them a little better, no?

Thanks!
-D

Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #54
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is a great idea - I'm definitely going to use this on my next batch. One question - is it better to have the end of the hose at the top of the carboy to maximize the distance the wort falls through, so it hits with a nice splash, or to have the end of the hose at the bottom to allow the entrained air bubbles to rise up through the wort?

Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #55
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's best to have the tube at the bottom of the carboy, gravity will keep accelerating the wort down the tube until it leaves the mouth, at that point it's not pulling the wort behind it anymore. The faster the wort is moving, the more air it will pull in through the venturi.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #56
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just tried this method on my last brew. Worked awesome!

"There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who ask questions."
-Me

Primary: none
Secondary: American Light Lager
Bottled: Glücksweizen (closest to an amber wheat I guess).
Bottled: Apfelwein
Kegged: Cream Ale

Upcoming:a Brown Ale, and a Belgian Ale, maybe a Porter.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #57
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
It's best to have the tube at the bottom of the carboy, gravity will keep accelerating the wort down the tube until it leaves the mouth, at that point it's not pulling the wort behind it anymore. The faster the wort is moving, the more air it will pull in through the venturi.

Hope this helps,

Joe
When the wort in the tube gets to the level of wort in the carboy, acceleration will stop. That's because the pressure from the wort inside the carboy pushing up into the tube will equal the force gravity is exerting on the wort inside the tube at and below the level of the wort outside the tube.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #58
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This like a poor man's inline aeration stone. The pros use an oxygen tank to insert oxygen via an air stone into the wort stream while they transfer. This removes the contamination risk.

If you currently shake, stir, or use an aquarium pump, the method in this thread is no more dangerous for infection. I think I might give this a try as well since I currently shake for aeration and I'm a wimp.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #59
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One quick question. I usually do the bucket back and forth and then use a funnel with a screen. Do you get a lot of trub into the fermenter using this technique or does the autosiphon restrict that?

I suppose I could always try the whirlpool method.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #60
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
When the wort in the tube gets to the level of wort in the carboy, acceleration will stop. That's because the pressure from the wort inside the carboy pushing up into the tube will equal the force gravity is exerting on the wort inside the tube at and below the level of the wort outside the tube.
I stand corrected, but you will still get better results and a higher flow rate by having the tube at the bottom of the carboy than at the mouth

Cheers

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Quick Reply