Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap and easy aeration gadget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #171
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I found this when I visited Beer Beer and More Beer aka Morebeer.com in California.

I was just perusing and for a couple bucks figured I'd try it out. I use it with my CFC and it seems to work GREAT!!!

Wort gets a good head of foam on it and my fermentations have all been solid. This has been the only aeration I've used on the last 6 batches.

wort-aerator.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #172
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just threw a Venturi rig together and used it on Saturday with excellent results! Video below... http://youtu.be/Ef0Ls4H4ufU

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #173
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Forgot where i read about this, but I just did a similar thing with some spare hose i had to transfer from my kettle to the fermenter.

I just took my thermapen and stabbed like 20-25 holes in the end of my 3/8ths tubing, it works really great.
It can be hard to see in the video, but you can definately hear it! The sound you hear in the video is all from the tubing sucking in air, not just background noise.

The key i found is to keep the holes closer to the kettle, the vacuum seems to be much stronger as it gets sucked out of the kettle which causes a lot of air to get in...the lower holes dont seem to contribute as much as the ones near the top...maybe its just in my head, but it sort of makes sense.

Even with a crapload of holes it doesnt leak with the ball valve fully opened...there is a microscopic amount of fluid that comes from the holes but just sits there and doesnt flow down the tube or anything...not that i care as even if it leaked it would still make it into my kettle.

Theres a huge stream of white from the air bubbles coming from all sides all the way down my 5' of tubing into my fermenter.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #174
aarong
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Awesome thread thanks can't wait to try it

Fermenting: Tripel
Keg: empty
Bottle: empty
Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #175
aarong
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

This build inspired me to make my own aerator using the Venturi effect. I didn't want to buy an aeration stone and I was struggling with this build and it's effectiveness/ use of the Venturi effect.

So I went to the drawing board and came up with what I call the Wormaeter it is free and takes two minutes to build and is extremely effective. It definitely uses the Venturi effect I even conducted an experiment on you tube to prove it. It worked every time for me with no hassle.

If your interested check out this thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/wormaeter-free-quick-effective-wort-aerator-383836/#post4815599

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers

Old 02-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #176
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, what an ingenious idea! I've learned all about Bernouilli's Law and the venturi effect, but I'd never thought of using it to suck air into wort! Definitely going to have to try this.

One question: There is an obvious trade off where the venturi tube is placed.
1. Immediately after leaving the BK. This allows the longest amount of contact time between the wort and the air bubbles
2. Mid way down/near the bottom. Wort is traveling faster, creating a greater vacuum and pulling more oxygen in.

Can anyone confirm which has produced better results?

I'd also like to point out something that was mentioned much earlier in this thread (sorry I don't know the name of who mentioned it, but you take the credit for this one). Some sort of perforated plate should be placed immediately downstream of the venturi tube. This would serve to produce more turbulence and to break the bubbles into smaller bubbles, increase surface area and the rate of diffusion of oxygen into the wort. However, this is quite a restriction, and I'm not sure what effect this pressure loss effect would have on the rate of oxygen intake is.

Thanks again for this! Now no more lifting 50lb carboys!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #177
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Wort doesn't travel faster further down the tube. It's all travelling the same speed unless you have a smaller pipe.

If you put some sort of diffuser inline, pressure before the diffuser would be higher. You might end up with wort exiting the holes rather than air entering them.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #178
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So then putting this device right after the spigot to my BK will provide maximize its benefits?

Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #179
Philo2013
Recipes 

Heres another version of an inline T. Sorry about the bad picture but you can see all the air being pulled in below the T. I think it helps to have an 8-10 foor drop into the basement.

brew-day-016.jpg   brew-day-015.jpg   brew-day-013.jpg   brew-day-012.jpg  

Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #180
MorrisBrewingCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
So then putting this device right after the spigot to my BK will provide maximize its benefits?
+1 and all my future brews. This method took me all of 5 minutes and aerated my wort as much as I would have wanted to. Thank you for the quick cheap fix. No more agitating or splashing as my only aerate method.
Keg 3: Strong West Coast IPA
Planning for the Spring:
Fermenter 1: Strong Scotch Ale
Fermenter 2: Empty
Fermenter 3: Empty

Quick Reply