Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap and easy aeration gadget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #151
banesong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I am very interested in this, but I had a performance question. About two brews ago, I switched from the whirlpool/siphon method or transferring to the dump the BK into a strainer method. Would the Venturi be as or more effective as dumping the brew (splashes and all) into a strainer, which would then cause there to be multiple small streams dropping into the bucket?

T

Primary: Lots, varies
Secondary: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Belgian Golden, American Pale, Apfelwien

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #152
WestCoastHopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I swear someone ran some numbers on that and found them to be about equal. I cant find it though, so could just be talking out of my backside. Either way, it is a whole lot easier than picking up 5gal of wort and dumping it.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #153
WestCoastHopper
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to update, I finally got this gadget working well (previous attempts were foiled by hops clogging my pickup tube on my kettle, false bottom to the rescue).

I brewed some of Da Yopper APA on Sunday, and after cooling I used the gadget. I could hear it sucking in a lot of air, and it created a ton of foam in the fermenter. Fermentation took off by the next morning, and by that evening I needed a blow off tube (first time I’ve actually needed one of these). I’m very happy with this little cheap homemade gadget.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #154
OKHopHead
Recipes 

I have been using one of these made from a section of copper tubing and it works great. FWIW, I cut a bunch of copper sections and tried various configurations: crimped tube, straight tube, multiple holes, different size holes, different hole locations. What ended up working best for me was a 1.5" section of straight 3/8" OD copper tubing with a single 1/16" hole in the middle.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #155
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm going to try this into my plastic primary, got it in the other day and just waiting for a brew day. I'm hoping to have a similar effect when I pour the wort in.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=37444

Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #156
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Is it really necessary to insert the thinner 'Venturi' tube in the middle of the transfer tube as many seem to do? Would the Venturi effect be the same by simply using a few inches of the thinner tube(with the hole) as the wort leaves the bottom of the transfer tube??
Sorry if this has been answered already, just don't have time at the moment to read the whole thread!

Thanks

L

Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #157
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso View Post
Is it really necessary to insert the thinner 'Venturi' tube in the middle of the transfer tube as many seem to do? Would the Venturi effect be the same by simply using a few inches of the thinner tube(with the hole) as the wort leaves the bottom of the transfer tube??
Sorry if this has been answered already, just don't have time at the moment to read the whole thread!

Thanks

L
As long as it's never submerged i don't see why not. but others may have differing opinions or actual tests

Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #158
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso
Earlier in the thread, someone claimed that it's better to have a length of tube after the air enters, since it prolongs the contact time (of the bubbles with the wort). But I haven't tried this yet either way -- so this is the blind leading the blind.

EDIT: Here's the post I'm thinking of (#13).

Old 07-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #159
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks tophmck, read that. Makes some sense I suppose. Would love to borrow a do meter and do some testing

Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #160
tophmck
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You should, Larso! It would be great to nail down how much the placement matters, and to double check that this actually gets the wort close to 8 ppm...

Quick Reply