Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap and easy aeration gadget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #91
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My way of thinking is to get some clear vinyl tubing of the diameter to your liking or needs, a hardware store item. Heat it with a heat gun or over a gas stove or propane burner until it becomes soft in one narrow area. When soft pull on it to create a hour glass or venturi center section around 1 1/2" long and 1/2 to 2/3 the original diameter. Cool water under the sink while holding it straight until it is hard and stiff as the normal tubing is. Tale a small as you can get sewing needle and heat it to almost red hot and poke as many holes as you think you need thru this venturi area. Have these holes aimed downward at a 45 degree to prevent the wort from coming out of these hole plus it helps to pull in the air. Simple easy and cheap to make. You will be surprised how much you can pull heated tubing and the diameter reduction you can make. Go practice as many diferent venturi forms can be created due to how hot or how wide of a heated area, caution do not burn the tubing, no brown spots just hot and soft. Just my 2 cents.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #92
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

very nice brewbeemer. ill try that

Old 03-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #93
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It would be interesting to see just how small you can make the hole(s) and still pull air into the line. It seems that at some point surface tension will overcome the venturi effect.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #94
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you want to get fancy take that hour glass I posted above and cut off the tubing at the ends 2" to 3" beyond at the normal diameter area. Inside these tubing ends press in a 1" long piece of brass tubing that will have a press fit at both ends, (hardware or hobby section has thin wall model brass tubing). This to prevent the tubing from getting compressed to a smaller diameter at the next step. Add a tight fitting piece of tubing 1" long over the main hour glass piece at each end.
Over the full length of the whole hour glass part plus over the 1" pieces added to the ends of the hour glass add a piece of tubing that fits tightly around the 1" long end sleeves, later there will be clamps added but not yet. At the hour glass center section there should be a space between the reduced hour glass tubing and the outside tubing covering the whole hour glass over the full length. Take a thin head brass screw like a 10-32 thread (0.1960" OD) then solder on a small brass washer allowing for a larger head diameter, (this to prevent pulling the brass headed screw thru the vinyl tubing hole). This screw with a 3/8" long thread with the center drilled with a 0.030" hole thru the center. Cut or burn a small hole for this brass screw to pass from the inside of the outside tube with the thread sticking out. Off this outside thread add a brass fitting with a 10-32 thread at one end with a brass washer plus drilled thru the center with a 0.030" diameter hole. On the other end a nipple to the diameter to your liking then add the end clamps. Use a regulator with low pressure O2 off a bottle with the pressure set less than what you your pump pressure will be to prevent O2 from backing up stream against the pump. This way you will inject 100% O2 into the wort vs sucking 20.95% oxygen, 78.08% nitrogen, .038% carbon dioxide plus other rare earth gases and crap. Which gas would you like your little yeasties to feed off? Call me cheap or a DIY person. I'm off my podium now unless you can afford a sight glass with a O2 injection system for your wort or go back to basics with a stainless steel stone, tubing and O2 from a welding bottle.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 03-06-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #95
wedward

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
When soft pull on it to create a hour glass or venturi center section around 1 1/2" long and 1/2 to 2/3 the original diameter. Cool water under the sink while holding it straight until it is hard and stiff as the normal tubing is. Tale a small as you can get sewing needle and heat it to almost red hot and poke as many holes as you think you need thru this venturi area.
great idea - any chance you can post a pic of that so I can visualize better?

I did a simple small diameter tube between larger sections and drilled holes with a small bit. worked well, but any improvement is welcome..

results:

Should I shoot for better than this? Or is that good?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 AM   #96
cowstick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so 1/16 inch was still too big. Next time gonna try smaller vinyl tube in a bigger vinyl tube. and make holes with push pin.

Bottled: Honey Kolsch
Primary: St. Paul Porter
Primary:
Primary:
Primary:
Kegged:
On Deck: Patersbier

Murderbrau has taken over

Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #97
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've run into this only slightly, but from the looks of the venturi tube i might have more of an issue here. Theres bound to be an overflow of foam. should i just let it overflow? is that what ya'll do?

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0

Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #98
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedward
Should I shoot for better than this? Or is that good?

Yeah, you got it down. That's some beautiful bubbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersmom
I've run into this only slightly, but from the looks of the venturi tube i might have more of an issue here. Theres bound to be an overflow of foam. should i just let it overflow? is that what ya'll do?
Don't fear the foam, lol. Well I'm not talking about Star-San here! The little bit of beer that comes with the bubbles at this point would be insignificant. Let it flow out and then cap off your fermenter afterwords.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #99
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hah i still fear the star-san foam a little.

but ok thanks I was figuring it would be ok just to let the foam run out. Just gotta make sure I have some towels down.

Primary: Empty
Priming / Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Empty

Gallons Brewed This Year: 0

Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #100
wedward

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Yeah, you got it down. That's some beautiful bubbles.
Thanks - that was with the aeration tube and a carb stone with a pump. My last brew was without the pump & stone and turned out just as nice. Great to see all you need is a little holy-hose!

Quick Reply