The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #921
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I built my 10 gallon HLT the same as the 10 gallon MLT --

I have the output of the HLT (via tubing) going to a Stationary Sparge Arm --which sits on top of the MLT.
Me too (although I have more of a sparge 'ring' that sits on top of the grainbed).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #922
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Excellent post FlyGuy!!

I was looking at the 10 Gallon Cooler AGS at NorthernBrewer and contemplating buying it -- this included (2) 10 Gallon Cooler (1-MLT and 1-HLT).

Glad I checked here before purchasing at NB.

Don't get me wrong NB is an excellent supplier, but didn't want to spend $238.

Just ordered my coolers from Ace Hardware at $49 each with free shipping.
And was able to find all of the hardware (except for SS Fender Washer) at Lowe's and Home Depot. Ace Hardware might have them -- if no luck -- I'll resort to McMaster Carr or Fastenal.
You got it. It just kills me when I see what some people charge for their ready-made cooler conversions. I didn't go all-out bargain conversion, bought the 10 gal. "big orange" cooler featured in the OP of this thread and a Bargain Fittings kit, and still did the conversion for under $80, and never looked back. Have had 100% successful AG batches, great lautering, good efficiency. As far as I'd recommend this conversion to anyone.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #923
Arrogantbastard
Recipes 

FlyGuy,

You wouldn't happen to have these instructions lying around in PDF form would you. I work at a home brew store and would love to print this out and post it for costomers. If not, no worries. I'll just copy and paste.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #924
underwaterdan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does this work for the 1610 rubbermaid cooler?

Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #925
daniel
Recipes 

those brass fittings contain lead, if it were only water in your mash tun this would be fine but the acidity of your mash will leech the lead out. this is toxic to an extent and can also cause haze. an alternative is to use 3/8 copper tubing and instead of the washers use a rubber bung to seal around the tube with a plastic valve on the outside

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #926
BreWirfel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel View Post
those brass fittings contain lead, if it were only water in your mash tun this would be fine but the acidity of your mash will leech the lead out. this is toxic to an extent and can also cause haze. an alternative is to use 3/8 copper tubing and instead of the washers use a rubber bung to seal around the tube with a plastic valve on the outside
soaking the brass in a vinegar/hydrogen peroxide solution (3-1) will remove the surface lead prior to brewing.

On Tap

Carb/Condition

Secondary

Primary
Edworts Apfelwein

Kicked
BB Continental pilsner
Coopers IPA, dryhopped with 1oz cascade
High Sierra Celebration Ale (Clone)
Austin Homebrew Celebration Ale

Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #927
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just built mine! It's taking the 1 hour 5 gallon hot water test right now. I goofed and got the non-stainless hose. Has anyone actually tried mashing with it??

Thanks for the idea, FlyGuy!

[/awesome]

Old 11-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #928
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencoat View Post
Just built mine! It's taking the 1 hour 5 gallon hot water test right now. I goofed and got the non-stainless hose. Has anyone actually tried mashing with it??

Thanks for the idea, FlyGuy!
Glad to hear that the build went well, although you will absolutely have to replace that braid with a proper stainless steel one. Those plastic ones just won't work.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #929
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreWirfel View Post
soaking the brass in a vinegar/hydrogen peroxide solution (3-1) will remove the surface lead prior to brewing.
so anyone that uses a brass ball valve should soak their system with a 3-1 ratio of hyd peroxide to vinegar?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #930
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
so anyone that uses a brass ball valve should soak their system with a 3-1 ratio of hyd peroxide to vinegar?
Here is some good info from HowToBrew.com:

Quote:
Cleaning Brass
Some brewers use brass fittings in conjunction with their wort chillers or other brewing equipment and are concerned about the lead that is present in brass alloys. A solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution) will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are soaked for 5 minutes or less at room temperature. The brass will turn a buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve, exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

Quick Reply