The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #741
Beau815
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks alot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #742
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok a question that may be obvious to you but I havent heard or read of it. I realized that some people use 2 coolers, one is basically to hold water because once you drain some runnings into your kettle you have no more kettle to transport water to the mash tun for a second running, is this correct? Cant I just use a 5 gallon cooler to fill my 10 gallon mash tun? Or even a kitchen kettle? Is 5 gallons TOO little to hold second runnings water?

Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #743
SilverKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau815 View Post
ok a question that may be obvious to you but I havent heard or read of it. I realized that some people use 2 coolers, one is basically to hold water because once you drain some runnings into your kettle you have no more kettle to transport water to the mash tun for a second running, is this correct? Cant I just use a 5 gallon cooler to fill my 10 gallon mash tun? Or even a kitchen kettle? Is 5 gallons TOO little to hold second runnings water?
before I got a second kettle/burner, I used to do it this way.

I'd heat my mash water....mash in.
then 30mins into the mash I heated up a full 5 gallons to around 200F.
dump all that into the 5Gal cooler and let it soak up some heat.
I double batch sparge, so I need hotter sparge water than single batch sparge due to the decreased water volume.

Sparging with water like this means I gotta aim high for temp and adjust in the 5Gal cooler. If you go too low, you're out of luck...I would keep about 1 Gal hot on the stove in the house, just in case.

a little fitness, and it worked fine every time.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #744
Wwiillburr
Recipes 

Ok, I think I must be doing something wrong, because for the life of me, after about a turn or two putting the brass parts together (3/8 ball valve to barbs), I cannot get them to tighten. Anyone want to shed some light on this for me?

Last edited by Wwiillburr; 05-04-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #745
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They dont tighten all the way down you will still see some threads... get two cresent wrenches, or 2 wrenches that fit and hold one inside while cranking the other outside... tighten all at the same time... until you cant go anymore or see the inside seal pressed very tight to the cooler.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #746
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just finished building my MT from these instructions. I bought all the parts at HD except the 3/8" ball valve and the SS hose, both at Lowe's.

I didn't find a food grade, high temp 7/16 tubing so the SS hose is zip tied to both brass fittings. The SS hose just feels like it could collapse and cause a stuck sparge, I'm hoping it won't, not like the plastic hose wouldn't keep it open anyhow.

The outside, I had to use 3 washers and a lock washer (it was in the 5/8" make a bolt kit so I could get SS washers). The ball valve has a little wiggle, I could probably still twist it but it's not leaking so I will leave it alone. I tried to get the threads from the nipple seated all the way into the valve, it just wouldn't tighten any further necessitating the need for the included lock washer (tough to get on).

Can't wait till I have free time to mash and AG, my first, but much thanks for the parts list and instruction on how to build this!

EDIT: All night and not a single drop leaked. Yes, the ball valve will easily spin on the axis of the direction of water flow, I did not tighten to the point it will not and works great.

Last edited by MikeG; 05-05-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #747
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yeah they will rotate if valve lever is pushed DOWN a bit hard but it need only be pulled out to open and in to close, not up or down. and yeah they dont tighten any further when they reach a certain point even when you still see half of the thread.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #748
bladefist
Recipes 

Does anyone know how to install a thermometer in one of these? Not like a hole with a rubber stopper for a cheapy thermometer, but like one that permanently installed

Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #749
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefist View Post
Does anyone know how to install a thermometer in one of these? Not like a hole with a rubber stopper for a cheapy thermometer, but like one that permanently installed
I used a "Thermothingy" kit. I've installed two of these things...they can be tricky to get to seal, but work OK.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #750
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I need to change up my game! Need to go AG, this extract stuff is pissing me off, not to mention the goop that accumulates on my high $ range hood and slate backsplash. I gots the turkey fryer stuff etc. I also have access to a crap load of those gatorade drink coolers for well, free. Could I use this same system to convert one of those?

Quick Reply