Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 02:44 AM   #61
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

My shelving system... here it is. http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/ I used a hole saw to cut perfect holes through each of the shelves in order to accomodate the tubing (hole saw set at Harbor Freight Tools 1.99!!). Also, the TOP shelf is cut in half so that I can remove that half when I am brewing, so that I can mix my mash easier.
The wheels I purchased at Harbor Freight Tools... they were on clearance for like $3 each, simply bought some long bolts and washers in order to affix them to the shelving system. Each shelf is rated at 1,000 lbs, it cost me $55 and it took all of 60 minutes to assemble. It was one of my best purchases yet. I have my thru the wall thermometers installed at $11 each and it is looking pretty sweet! My neighbors will be in AWE when I wheel this baby out into the driveway in April!

Pol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #62
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

UPDATE:

I took my MLT out today to clean it up for a brew session, and noticed that the hose clamps on the stainless steel braid didn't look so good:

Despite that the packaging said they were all stainless steel, they are corroding. Not good.

So, I did a quick modification to my original design using a piece of 7/16" x 5/16" vinyl tubing (food grade, high temp). I cut a length to fit inside the SS braid, and then notched it along the entire length to allow liquid to flow through.

I capped it at the end with my brass nut, and slipped the tubing inside the braid. Then I slipped the other end of the tubing on to the barb inside the cooler. The SS braid fits nice and snug over it, so there is no need for hose clamps anymore.

EDIT: If you use the tubing insert idea instead of hose clamps to secure your braid, you MUST use stiff, high temp, food grade tubing. This works exceptionally for myself and many other people. However, if you use rubber tubing, or soft tubing, or tubing that is not rated for high temperatures, it will collapse under its own weight inside the SS braid and cause a stuck sparge. Further, you do not need the tubing to reinforce the SS braid -- it should not collapse under the weight of the mash (if it does you either have a deceivingly similar-looking plastic braid, or the quality of your SS braid is too poor to use in an MLT).

Last edited by FlyGuy; 01-04-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #63
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Zip straps or wire ties might work as a replacement for "all stainless" steel hose clamps...that is if you can tighten them down enough to prevent the braid/hose from coming loose.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #64
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I like the vinyl tube. Where did you find that at? Seems like that would work out pretty well and be very easy.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #65
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
I like the vinyl tube. Where did you find that at? Seems like that would work out pretty well and be very easy.
I got it at Home Depot.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 AM   #66
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesamskid
Zip straps or wire ties might work as a replacement for "all stainless" steel hose clamps...that is if you can tighten them down enough to prevent the braid/hose from coming loose.
Anybody try zip ties in MLT? Would the plastic hold up to the heat? That seems to be the simplest solution...If soft vinyl tubing can stand hot temps than I would think hard plastic zip-ties would too. Jeez, I just gotta do it and see what happens.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Last edited by uuurang; 04-01-2007 at 01:11 AM.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #67
hb024
Recipes 

Hey FlyGuy, thanks for the post. I used your list to get all the parts I need, and am gonna put together one of these this weekend! Woo hoo!

Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #68
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just went and bought the stuff to make this, except the washers went to two different places and no luck.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 AM   #69
Lochboy
Recipes 

I agree the washers are the hardest to find.

I bought my 2 Ten Gallonn coolers 2 weeks ago and have already brewed 5 times it is awesome. My first crack at all grain

I use one for MLT then the other as my liquor tank.

I also use the Zappa false bottom which I just love, it is easy to clean afterwards.

I went one step further. I used epoxy on the seal and actually put in 3 quarter inch fittings which allows me more flexability in th flow.

Great way to start All Grain.

Later

Lochboy

Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #70
Wizza

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well i got all the parts for making my MLT, this worked out very good !! I'm only doing a 5gal atm so had to change the size's a bit . Like the vinyl tube idea as for the washers i was able to use Hole Grommets 3/4" they work great and tighten down to make a great seal just use then on the out side, worked great and have 5gal of hot water in it now testing

Primary 1:
Primary 2:Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale
Secondary 1:American amber ale
secondary 2:Apfelwein
up next: German Hef
Drinking: Chimay

lidxv0n Likes This 

Quick Reply