Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #541
dmob29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgruelle View Post
If you have an Ace Hardware or a "Mom and Pop" shop near you check there. Both the Ace, and the "Mom and Pop" in my area had a large assortment of stainless hardware.
Agreed... There is a True Value Hardware down the street from me that has 2 rows of misc nuts/bolts/washers for pennies a piece.

Last edited by dmob29; 10-18-2008 at 04:41 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #542
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkatuw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
I fixed this by getting 1 foot of 1/2" copper tubing, and a couple 45 degree elbows. Now I have the copper tubing equivalent of the SS braid...and works great so far! I think the copper parts ran me all of 5 bucks...1/16" drill bit was $2.39 for two bits.
I might like this idea better since I'm having a hard time finding stainless braid (they're all that nylon composite stuff now) and I'm reading posts about that clogging/compressing anyway...

Am I correctly gathering that to do this copper manifold thing, just drill 1/16" holes in the bottom of the tubing? Any guide/idea as to how many?? 1" apart? 5" apart?

Also, with this copper manifold thing, it doesn't look terribly convenient to remove... do you just blast it with water to dislodge the grains, mostly leaving it in place?

What an awesome thread!! Thanks to all for posting your projects & ideas!!!

EDIT: After finding a post about using PVC instead of copper, I'm even more intrigued! Any success with this method? Anyone... ?
Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Last edited by WheeledGoat; 10-23-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #543
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
I might like this idea better since I'm having a hard time finding stainless braid (they're all that nylon composite stuff now) and I'm reading posts about that clogging/compressing anyway...

Am I correctly gathering that to do this copper manifold thing, just drill 1/16" holes in the bottom of the tubing? Any guide/idea as to how many?? 1" apart? 5" apart?

Also, with this copper manifold thing, it doesn't look terribly convenient to remove... do you just blast it with water to dislodge the grains, mostly leaving it in place?

What an awesome thread!! Thanks to all for posting your projects & ideas!!!

EDIT: After finding a post about using PVC instead of copper, I'm even more intrigued! Any success with this method? Anyone... ?
I've had pretty good success with my copper manifold. It's really easy to remove since I didn't solder any of the joints except for the U-shaped piece that attaches to the bulkhead.

My efficiency has gone down a little bit after switching to the manifold, but I think it's because it drains so much faster (it used to take me 20 min to batch sparge, now it takes 2-3 min), and I don't have to worry about stuck sparges like I did with the braid. So far I'm a happy camper and I wouldn't switch back.

I didn't drill holes in my manifold, instead I used a hacksaw to drill slots every 1/2" along the bottom of the manifold.
Secondary: Amarillo/Citra Pale ale
On Deck: Christmas Ale

Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #544
WheeledGoat
DisMember

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i assume you've got that ball valve, right? do ya think backing off on the drain rate so it didn't pour out so fast might help your efficiency? (how much eff did you lose, btw? 5%? 15%?)

again, thanks for posting!! i was at Ace last night eyeing up the copper parts. i'm down with the price!! now i wish i had looked at this before dropping 60 bones on an immersion chiller. i coulda made one, theoretically, for like $10 (assuming i could do it without kinking it). hmmmm.

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Old 10-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #545
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
i assume you've got that ball valve, right? do ya think backing off on the drain rate so it didn't pour out so fast might help your efficiency? (how much eff did you lose, btw? 5%? 15%?)

again, thanks for posting!! i was at Ace last night eyeing up the copper parts. i'm down with the price!! now i wish i had looked at this before dropping 60 bones on an immersion chiller. i coulda made one, theoretically, for like $10 (assuming i could do it without kinking it). hmmmm.
I do have a ball valve attached, and my efficiency went from around 75% to 65%, draining slower might help, or perhaps just having some more patience and letting the sparge water sit for 10 min before draining would fix the problem. I'm also looking into getting either a paint stirrer or a mud mixer attachment for my drill to help still the mash more vigorously.
Secondary: Amarillo/Citra Pale ale
On Deck: Christmas Ale

Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #546
IPA_33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

using this tutorial now. wish me luck!

Just add more hops!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #547
IPA_33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

nice simple build, using today for my "Hybrid IPA". Thanks so much for posting all this awesome info.

Just add more hops!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #548
BullF-16
Recipes 

Anyone have a problem with the braid constricting with the number of batches. I bought my braid from home depot, i thought it was stainless, didnt know at the time they also had a composite braid. I dont know which i have. The braid worked great for the first 6 batches. Yesterday on a batch of Edmund Fitzgerald porter i had a stuck sparge which required constantly reaching the mash and moving the braid around. I noticed it is nowhere the original dimensions but has constricted down in diameter a bit. Anyone else know of this problem and what is a good fix.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #549
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just did this conversion as well, and have a couple of pointers.
1. The only real stainless that I found was in some "flood proof" toilet lines.
2. I put a piece of 10gauge copper wire, spiraled around a pencil into the center to keep it from crushing.

Hope these help!
Larry

Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #550
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Anyone have a problem with the braid constricting with the number of batches. I bought my braid from home depot, i thought it was stainless, didnt know at the time they also had a composite braid. I dont know which i have. The braid worked great for the first 6 batches. Yesterday on a batch of Edmund Fitzgerald porter i had a stuck sparge which required constantly reaching the mash and moving the braid around. I noticed it is nowhere the original dimensions but has constricted down in diameter a bit. Anyone else know of this problem and what is a good fix.
in this LOOOOONG thread, several of us have talked about putting a notched bit of hose back in the braid....in fact I just took the nylon core that I pulled out of it...drilled a bunch of holes in it all around it, boiled it for 15 minutes to dislodge all of the tiny bits of material left from the drilling, and put it back inside the braid....I've not had any problems yet...others have used the clear nylon tubing as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply