Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #41
ErikH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thanks!

I had to go to 3 different HW stores to get all of the parts, but I got them all for less than $20. I couldn't find a SS 5/8" washer, but the last place I went had them in brass. As a matter of fact, they sold their brass washers by weight, and since 1 washer didn't even move the scale they gave it to me for no charge . Now the only thing I'm missing is the Rubbermaid 10 gal. cooler. I hit all of the local mega-stores, but all they had were the 5 gal. A quick google search turns up a price of $75 for this cooler. Any idea where I might pick this up for cheaper? If not, I'll just go with a standard rectangular cooler. Again, thanks for the awesome parts list and illustrations!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #42
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikH
I had to go to 3 different HW stores to get all of the parts, but I got them all for less than $20. I couldn't find a SS 5/8" washer, but the last place I went had them in brass. As a matter of fact, they sold their brass washers by weight, and since 1 washer didn't even move the scale they gave it to me for no charge . Now the only thing I'm missing is the Rubbermaid 10 gal. cooler. I hit all of the local mega-stores, but all they had were the 5 gal. A quick google search turns up a price of $75 for this cooler. Any idea where I might pick this up for cheaper? If not, I'll just go with a standard rectangular cooler. Again, thanks for the awesome parts list and illustrations!
Glad to hear you got the parts. I had a REALLY tough time finding 10 gal coolers here in Calgary, but lucked out and spotted 3 of them for $35 ea. Look to an early post in this thread by GFI for some sources:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=223775&postcount=16

Hope you find one. If not, a smaller rectangular cooler should work well, too. Just watch to not go too big with a rectangular cooler because the grain bed depth could get more shallow. Those Igloo cube coolers are probably best. Cheers!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #43
Kadmium
Recipes 

So if I were to do the same thing over here in Australia we have the rubermaid 45L coolers (10 gal) but I only do 5 gallon batches of around 1.040 - 1.065 will my grain bed be deep enough for a good batch sparge and not get stuck? and whats the efficiency going to be like?

Have a good one mate, K

Primary: Nierra Sevada

Carboy1: Sanitizer
Carboy2: Sanitizer

Kegged - Burnt down the Hause ale

Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #44
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium
So if I were to do the same thing over here in Australia we have the rubermaid 45L coolers (10 gal) but I only do 5 gallon batches of around 1.040 - 1.065 will my grain bed be deep enough for a good batch sparge and not get stuck? and whats the efficiency going to be like?

I can't answer from experience, but when I decided to make my 10 gal MLT, it was based on the general consensus of this site that a 10 gal cooler will serve you better than a 5 gallon one. Having said that, the main reason was to allow room for bigger grain bills (say 12 lbs and higher). If you don't think you will ever brew beers bigger than that, perhaps a 5 gallon is all you need.

I am actually thinking that I should have both a 10 gal (made that already) *AND* a 5 gal cooler MLT. For small to moderate grain bills, I would use the 5 gal MLT for mashing and the 10 gal as a hot liquor tank. For bigger beers or for 10 gal batches, I would use the 10 gal MLT for the mash, and the 5 gal MLT as a hot liquor tank. I am thinking this way because I am mostly limited to stove top brewing, although I intend to get a keggle (one) for 10 gal batches. Having two cooler MLTs would allow me to do a cheap 3-tier setup that is really flexible and easy to run. But I have to admit, I may need to think this through a bit still.

Cheers!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 AM   #45
ErikH
Recipes 

A little more research has found that I can get the 10 gal. coolers for around $45.

I plan on batch sparging, where grain bed depth is not nearly as important as in fly sparging. My thinking is that the 10 gal. round cooler is not significantly larger in diameter than the 5 gal. and will be suitable for 5 or 10 gal. grain bills.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #46
Kadmium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikH
A little more research has found that I can get the 10 gal. coolers for around $45.

I plan on batch sparging, where grain bed depth is not nearly as important as in fly sparging. My thinking is that the 10 gal. round cooler is not significantly larger in diameter than the 5 gal. and will be suitable for 5 or 10 gal. grain bills.
Thanks ErikH, and thanks FlyGuy, you both gave me enough confidence to go with the 10galon because, I like big beers but I also like small beers, and with batch sparging I guess it doesnt make a difference! thanks again!

Have a good one mate, K

Primary: Nierra Sevada

Carboy1: Sanitizer
Carboy2: Sanitizer

Kegged - Burnt down the Hause ale

Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #47
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
...I am actually thinking that I should have both a 10 gal (made that already) *AND* a 5 gal cooler MLT....But I have to admit, I may need to think this through a bit still.
FlyGuy - if it helps I was thinking the exact same thing this weekend. I'd say that's enough to validate the hypothesis

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #48
davarm
Recipes 

Default Flyguy

Does the external o-ring on your setup acutally make a seal? I have a Gott cooler, and it was manufactured a little different. There open space in the hole between the inside and the outside of the cooler. I was thinking of filling it with plumbers putty. I question whether an o-ring in my configuration would actually trap any liquid that is leaking around the brass nipple.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:59 AM   #49
kbesch
Recipes 

FlyGuy-
I hope you know the Beer God's are toasting you right now. Great post on MLT, just what I was looking for. I am collecting parts now, have cooler, on my way to HD. Parts list and pics very valueable to me and I want you to know I appreciate your postings! Prost!!!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:31 AM   #50
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbesch
FlyGuy-
I hope you know the Beer God's are toasting you right now. Great post on MLT, just what I was looking for. I am collecting parts now, have cooler, on my way to HD. Parts list and pics very valueable to me and I want you to know I appreciate your postings! Prost!!!!!
Glad to hear that you found everything useful! Best of luck finding all the parts easily (those stainless steel washers were tough for me and a few others -- talk to skifast1 if you need one -- he bought a bunch and is selling them for $1 to anyone who needs one, postage included http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=235056&postcount=38).

Cheers

Quick Reply