Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #2491
hophead8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

can we potentially get a full updated list of what would be needed, parts wise, to make this work (taking into account everyones issues/resolutions over the past 249 pages). i've just read through quite a bit and got all confused with the different washers and quantities, as well as the braided hose with vinyl insert or coiled copper, clamps, etc. planning on building this weekend and would really appreciate an up to date list to take to the shop with me. thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #2492
SDBreWs0624
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

this is sweet

SDBreWs0624

Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #2493
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead8
can we potentially get a full updated list of what would be needed, parts wise, to make this work (taking into account everyones issues/resolutions over the past 249 pages). i've just read through quite a bit and got all confused with the different washers and quantities, as well as the braided hose with vinyl insert or coiled copper, clamps, etc. planning on building this weekend and would really appreciate an up to date list to take to the shop with me. thanks in advance.
Brewhardware.com weldless bulkhead, ball valve, nipple, screen. 4 parts. No issues :-)

Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #2494
JUST_BREW_IT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85 View Post
Brewhardware.com weldless bulkhead, ball valve, nipple, screen. 4 parts. No issues :-)
yeah that's not really what he asked

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #2495
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST_BREW_IT

yeah that's not really what he asked
Sure it is. He asked for what parts were needed. So I gave him the parts I used. Correct I didn't give him the parts for this specific build. Regardless lets all throw back a tasty homebrew in honor of DIY Homebrewing gadgets & equipment. Cheers!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #2496
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can use the same parts listed in the beginning. Just make sure that:

* The worm clamps are ALL stainless steel
* The braided supply hose is ALL stainless steel
* You know where to get the SS washer for the inside (build a bolt kits at HD or here - http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1171026)
* If you have concerns about the braid getting crushed, coil some copper around a pencil and insert it within the braid, or use silicone tubing with notches in it to do the same thing.

Be willing to ask people in the store for help. That being said, I was able to find all of these parts in a Home Depot fairly easily when I first did this three years ago and again just recently.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #2497
CaptainBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I agree completely with Jeebas above. Make sure the parts are Stainless Steel. The Build-A-Bolt kit from HD worked perfectly. I would recommend buying 2 of those to ensure you have plenty of the washers as there can be some variance in the number needed for each cooler. I did this with a 10-gallon HD cooler last year. I bought everything new with the parts list I derived from the OP and follow up posts. It worked like a champ right up until my wife hooked me up with a false bottom for the cooler and I ditched the SS braid. For what it's worth, I never had a problem with the braid collapsing as others have mentioned. For full disclosure, I don't recall ever exceeding 14 lbs of grains in the mash with batch sparging until I got the false bottom, so a really big beer could have been different.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #2498
Spicemon1972
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks to FlyGuy and everyone else. The detailed parts list and step by step instructions allowed me to build one of these last night out of a 10 gallon HD water cooler. Time to start planning for my first all grain batch!
On a side note, I had a hard time with sealing off the SS braid so I got creative and bought a small copper pipe cap ( 47¢ ), placed it over the end of the braid and hammered it flat. Works great and weighs the braid down so it doesn't float. Tested with about 3 gallons of 170 degree water with not a leak in sight. Score!
If you use a HD water cooler, follow the advice of several others and buy plenty of washers - I used 5 or 6 on the outside to get everything nice and snug.
Also, another way to secure the hose barb end of the braid that I used was to slip the braid over the barb and wrap around the braid with thin copper wire.

image-3729200989.jpg

If you look close, you can see the pounded end cap and the copper wire wrap in the picture above.
Thanks again to all - this makes it easy and affordable to start on AG.
Cheers!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #2499
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just wanted to say thanks. I built my mash tun 8 months ago using this post and have used it every two weeks since then. My brew quality increased instantly and the tun has held up just fine. I only just replaced the SS braided hose last week after many batches. Brew on!

"I'd Tap That!"
HaPpY yEaSt HaPpY fEaSt

=BEARDEN BREWERY=

Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #2500
rld04
Recipes 

Like this build a lot!

Quick Reply