The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #2461
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongemus
Wilserbrewer, I currently have a MT I made from my old beach cooler and some hardware. I use Denny's method often. I would recommend it to anybody.

My set up works well but it is getting old and was never that efficient. I am also trying to upgrade to 10 or even 15 gallon batches. So I think I need a better system. To build my own good system it seems I'm only saving if I skimp on parts... a cheaper cooler, braided hose instead of a false bottom. I want it to be efficient and move up with me as I brew more and more.

What do people use for brewing 10-15 gallon batches?
Regarding the false bottom comment, IMHO they work the best in cylindrical MLTs or kettles. In my experience, the only cylindrical MLTs I've ever seen are 10gal. If you are wanting to do up to 15gal batches, you may want to reconsider the false bottom as I think the only way you can get 15gal of a beer with a 10gal MLT is to supplement with extract or just make a very low OG beer.

The attached pic is in my 12gal MLT. I did a 12gal batch of 1.070 wort. Very tight fit! I'll be upgrading to a 70qt rectangular cooler sometime this year.

EDIT: Grain bill had 30# of grain.
image-3200540882.jpg  
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze
dongemus Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #2462
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 800 Posts

^ "very tight fit" is a bit of an understatement

Looks like Mount Malt Island rising in the middle...

Cheers!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2463
Snisup
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
^ "very tight fit" is a bit of an understatement

Looks like Mount Malt Island rising in the middle...

Cheers!
I want to live on that island!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #2464
mnstarzz13
Recipes 

First time poster. 3 yrs brewer here in MN.

6 yrs later and this thread is still giving. I used this model to a Tee (except my hose was 5ft). Cooler was $45+tax and parts were $32 w/tax. \

My only issue is that the spigot wants to spin. Any resolutions to that?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #2465
dongemus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 48

After doing more research we (my brother and I) decided we want to do 15g batches. For some of our grain bills this might reach 50#s! I guess the igloo is out of question. We need a big rectangular or something else. Any good suggestions?

Primary: Oatmeal Porter, Peach Mead
Secondary: Cascadian Dark Ale, Quad Trappist
Bottled: Iced Coffee Ale, Honey Ale, Quad Trappist, Old Norse Ale, Coconut Porter

http://riotbeer.com

Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #2466
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongemus View Post
After doing more research we (my brother and I) decided we want to do 15g batches. For some of our grain bills this might reach 50#s! I guess the igloo is out of question. We need a big rectangular or something else. Any good suggestions?
I'm thinking of upgrading to this cooler for my bigger batches:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70...Cooler/4807332

Read the comment "Xtreme Mash Tun". Has very good info on equipment to convert to a MLT.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze
dongemus Likes This 
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #2467
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post

Read the comment "Xtreme Mash Tun". Has very good info on equipment to convert to a MLT.
If you want to do 15 gallon batches - 70 quart xtreme cooler
If you want to do 10 gallon batches - 70 or 52 quart xtreme cooler or 10 gallon rubbermaid/igloo cooler

Personally I'm going to go to the 52 quart xtreme for my 10 gallon batches, "IM HOPING" it holds heat even better than the 70 quart for 10 gallon, but not positive.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #2468
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post

I have this cooler. I did end up with a slight amount of leaking at the bulkhead, so I silicone'd the opening and let it cure before re-assembling. I now get a tiny bit of leakage during the mash, but it's probably 2-4oz. of liquid, so I don't care. The silicone means it's not going into the insulation and getting nasty, so I've accepted it.

It's huge, though. I usually only have 20# of grain in it and it's maybe half full (I mash SUPER thin, too, usually 1.75-2qts/lb). I lose 10* overnight, which is how I mash. I don't usually lose even 1* in a 60m mash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #2469
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I have this cooler. I did end up with a slight amount of leaking at the bulkhead, so I silicone'd the opening and let it cure before re-assembling. I now get a tiny bit of leakage during the mash, but it's probably 2-4oz. of liquid, so I don't care. The silicone means it's not going into the insulation and getting nasty, so I've accepted it.

It's huge, though. I usually only have 20# of grain in it and it's maybe half full (I mash SUPER thin, too, usually 1.75-2qts/lb). I lose 10* overnight, which is how I mash. I don't usually lose even 1* in a 60m mash.
That's why I mention the 52 quart one for people as well if they want to do 10 gallons. It would fill it up more, and probably keep the heat better.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #2470
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
That's why I mention the 52 quart one for people as well if they want to do 10 gallons. It would fill it up more, and probably keep the heat better.
But if you notice, I don't lose even 1* in 60m...so that's about as good as you can get with a cooler that's not having heat applied. Losing 10* in an 8 hour mash seems reasonable and has worked for me, too. I have made adjustments to starting mash temps accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply