New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #2371
madkingchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, and maybe you're wondering how everything turned out?.?.? I did my first all grain batch (Irish Red) the weekend after Thanksgiving. There were no leaks, and the tun held the temperature just fine (only lost 5/10ths of a degree over 1 hour). I was surprised to find my SG was slightly higher than the recipe's range. I guess I got lucky and was darn efficient for a first time. I did a single infusion with a batch sparge after watching plenty of videos.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #2372
dominicmsu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just wanted to say thank you for this post and instructions. I built a mash tun based on these directions and it was very easy. The suggestion for a 5/8" build a bolt solved the stainless steel washer issue.
Also, the brass fittings i used were lead free so no lead issues, they were standard Watts parts, got them at hd.
Thanks.
Dominic

Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #2373
bscott1011
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Great thread, hope to start my build soon.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #2374
bbriscoe
Recipes 

What kind of effeciency are people getting on this setup with high gravity brews? I did a 5 gal batch of Christmas ale:
.5 lb German carafa III
.81 lb Special Roast
.81 Victory
13.33 Brewers Malt (is this the same as American 2 row?)
.2 lb turbinado sugar

It was supposed to give 1.08 to 1.082 OG, and I only got 1.065 after temp adjustment. I used 5 gal for 60 min mash at 154 deg and 2.5 more gal of 170 deg for batch sparge which resulted in 6.2 gal of wort collected. According to the Brewer's Friend, this is only a 56% brewhouse efficiency.

My proceedure was to heat the 5 gals, dump in cooler, then add grain and stirred for 2-3 mins. Then I left it there and tried shaking the cooler every 20 mins or so, but this was problematic as wort tried to leak out the top when I shook. I drained off 3 gals, then added about 2.5 more, strirred, left for 10 mins then collected 3.2 gal. I maybe could have collected another pint if I had waited 30 mins for drainings, tipped the cooler over, etc - that is what was left at the end anyway.

So should I be satisfied with my efficiency with this equipment, or is the LHBS shorting me on grain, or do I need a finer mash, or should I just use more grain to compensate?

I've brewed: Oktoberfest, Alaskan Smoked Porter, Rochefort 10 trappist, "Reverend Desmond" trappist, DFH 90 clone, Sam Smith Oatmeal stout,Fat Tire Amber, Dave's Double Dog IPA, Leffe Blonde CLone (didn't work).

What I want to brew (so I don't forget): Fullers London Porter, "Desiree's" Cream Ale, Grimbergen red, SA Imperial Double Bock, Marshalls IPA, MacEwan's Scotch Ale

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #2375
madkingchris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two things that are most commented on regarding efficiency are how fine your grains are crushed (maybe set it a hair finer next time) and how slowly you collect your first runnings after the vorlauf (don't open your valve all the way). Might be a couple of things worth trying.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #2376
madkingchris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbriscoe View Post
What kind of effeciency are people getting on this setup with high gravity brews? I did a 5 gal batch of Christmas ale:
.5 lb German carafa III
.81 lb Special Roast
.81 Victory
13.33 Brewers Malt (is this the same as American 2 row?)
.2 lb turbinado sugar

It was supposed to give 1.08 to 1.082 OG, and I only got 1.065 after temp adjustment. I used 5 gal for 60 min mash at 154 deg and 2.5 more gal of 170 deg for batch sparge which resulted in 6.2 gal of wort collected. According to the Brewer's Friend, this is only a 56% brewhouse efficiency.

My proceedure was to heat the 5 gals, dump in cooler, then add grain and stirred for 2-3 mins. Then I left it there and tried shaking the cooler every 20 mins or so, but this was problematic as wort tried to leak out the top when I shook. I drained off 3 gals, then added about 2.5 more, strirred, left for 10 mins then collected 3.2 gal. I maybe could have collected another pint if I had waited 30 mins for drainings, tipped the cooler over, etc - that is what was left at the end anyway.

So should I be satisfied with my efficiency with this equipment, or is the LHBS shorting me on grain, or do I need a finer mash, or should I just use more grain to compensate?
Two things that are most commented on regarding efficiency are how fine your grains are crushed (maybe set it a hair finer next time) and how slowly you collect your first runnings after the vorlauf (don't open your valve all the way). Might be a couple of things worth trying.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #2377
usethesource
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was able to find the SS fender washers at Elliot's Hardware, which is a local Dallas hardware shop.

Just in case anyone in Dallas is looking.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #2378
chasman
Recipes 

I'm planning on doing this build soon. But I do have a question: why do I need the 5/8" washers when the nipple is only 3/8"? And do they have to be fender washers, or will plain/flat stainless steel washers do?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #2379
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasman
I'm planning on doing this build soon. But I do have a question: why do I need the 5/8" washers when the nipple is only 3/8"? And do they have to be fender washers, or will plain/flat stainless steel washers do?
You won't need either if you buy a weldless bulkhead and valve from brewhardware.com ! That's what I did! No need to worry about washers or factory gaskets & it's all stainless steel instead of brass

Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #2380
JPKDetroit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasman View Post
Based on my recent experience the washers need to be bigger than the nipple so they can fit over it and make the inside and outside pieces fit tightly when screwed together.

I used flat washers for the outside and a fender for the inside SS washer but this was mostly because that's what I was able to find after trips to multiple stores. The first "5/8" washers (The employee grabbed them for me so I'm not 100% sure they were actually 5/8) from Home Depot were actually just a little too small to fit the thread so I had to buy more that were a little bigger.

I found the SS fender washer my local homebrew store (Adventures in Michigan).

I would just buy a few extra washers so you've got some wiggle room. It's likely that the different brand coolers vary in the thickness of their walls and this will impact how many washers you need.

Quick Reply