New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #2281
grimstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanchief View Post
Thanks for that info. What it basically seems to say is that I might have problems with the lining in a couple of years and need to replace the cooler, or so it seems. Obviously not ideal as that's the single most expensive piece, but if I can get 5 years out of it, I'll be happy. I suppose it depends on how much it's used.
My cooler lining warped, but DID NOT crack, on my first batch. It has a raised 1" lump from the bottom to the top, about 1.5" wide. I've done about a dozen batches with it since, and it works fine. It may be giving me cancer, but it makes some good beer, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #2282
V1king
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a friend who has had some warping of the inner liner on the rubbermaid cooler. I'm not sure why or how it happened. Maybe higher temp. mash out? But I do know that it can happen. I haven't had a problem with my own cooler conversion yet.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #2283
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My ball valve wiggles pretty substantially when I close the valve, would the inclusion of washers stop this problem? Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #2284
jaz5833
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff

If anything, you might see some deformation of the cooler's inner liner (bulging on the sidewall), but if I were to add tubing inside the SS braid, I'd probably recommend silicone hose, since it pretty much has the highest temp range you can find.
I coiled a SS wire onto a round rod and then pulled the coils out lengthwise to form an open and elongated coil spring. I then inserted this into the SS braid. Works perfectly supporting the braid and is uneffected by heat.

By the way, my 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler has seen 6-7 batches without any sign of warping.

If you wait till the last minute to do everything, it will only take you a minute to do them.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #2285
grimstuff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1king View Post
I have a friend who has had some warping of the inner liner on the rubbermaid cooler. I'm not sure why or how it happened. Maybe higher temp. mash out? But I do know that it can happen. I haven't had a problem with my own cooler conversion yet.
Mine warped on the first batch right after I poured the strike water in (~170 F). There were creaks and cracking sounds coming from the cooler, so I assume the inner liner was expanding and just started popping out with no where else to go. Now its a permanent feature of the cooler. But like i said, no problems whatsoever. If it lasts a few years, I'd say that's pretty good for a $40 investment. I can just pop out the valve and braid and start with a new cooler when the time comes.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #2286
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac
My ball valve wiggles pretty substantially when I close the valve, would the inclusion of washers stop this problem? Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?
Yes, you may need more outside ss washers than the OP needed in the original build. The ball valve should be tight against the cooler wall.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #2287
JayMac
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Yes, you may need more outside ss washers than the OP needed in the original build. The ball valve should be tight against the cooler wall.
Thanks. Do you know if the plastic washer the rubermaid cooler comes with is high temperature? I'm thinking of replacing it with a 1/2" silicone gasket but its OD is barely larger than the hole in the cooler. This results in the gasket getting pulled through once the locknut is tightened.

I was going to put on washers anyways, as my SS ball valve handle can't be closed completely (that awkward square cut out near the spigot blocks it from closing all the way). It seems like once the handle hits, the ball valve is completely closed, but I'd like to be safe and space the ball valve out far enough for the handle to lie horizontally, for precaution and aesthetics.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #2288
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
Mine warped on the first batch right after I poured the strike water in (~170 F). There were creaks and cracking sounds coming from the cooler, so I assume the inner liner was expanding and just started popping out with no where else to go. Now its a permanent feature of the cooler. But like i said, no problems whatsoever. If it lasts a few years, I'd say that's pretty good for a $40 investment. I can just pop out the valve and braid and start with a new cooler when the time comes.
+1
I used round coolers before I went to keggles and experianced the same thing. both were deformed on the inside after starting to use them but they both lasted years and would still be in use if I didn't build a stand and upgrade my equipment.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #2289
grimstuff
Recipes 

Here's what the bulge looks like:

Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #2290
lobotion
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
e w

Mine wiggles a little but the ss washers help.

Quick Reply