Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #2251
60sd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I apologize, but I didn't read every post on this thread. I followed the instructions from the post and built myself a MLT for about $90 out the door. I bought all the parts for a second one for my brother as well. I am currently enjoying my first all grain 1.75 IPA (not quite a double IPA), and I'm quite happy with the results. My tip for those who are going to build this: Use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to separate the stainless from the fittings/hose, it makes the ends of the SS sheath nice and clean and easy to work with. Also, I used regular zinc cut washers for the inside fitting as I was unable to find SS washers large enough. Big mistake, they were rusting after the first brew. I've done two brews since then, but now the washers are rusted to the point that I can't risk ruining a brew. When I got the parts for my brother's MLT, the home depot had the "Create a bolt" kit in stock, so I'll take some of his (they weren't in stock when I built mine).

Just looked up my receipts, the total cost in the central valley, CA, 2012, was 89.18 out the door.

I put mine together in less than an hour and used it the following morning. This is a perfect example of ignorance being bliss; I was only somewhat familiar with the concepts of AG brewing but I tried it and it worked out. Now I need to learn exactly what it is that I'm supposed to be doing, rather than relying on dumb luck...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #2252
60sd
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

One more thing, I got a digital thermometer from Bed Bath and Beyond for about $20.00. I've been putting the probe into the mash then screwing the lid on the mash tun. On one brew, I didn't have any temperature drop, the other two were 6 degrees and 2 degrees. The difference between the temps was probably due to the fact that I draped a doubled up bath towel over the lid on the -0 and -2 degrees batches. Also, my thermometer only reads whole degrees, but I figure it's close enough for what I'm doing right now.

Some day, I'll get a brew stand with pumps and multiple burners, For right now, I'm pretty proud of the fact that I can make a tasty enough brew with a couple hundred bucks worth of equipment.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #2253
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Menards had some 5/8 ID SS washers. Check your bigger Menards and don't trust the guy on the phone. They assured me they didn't have any that big...ended up finding them anyway when I was running other errands.

They're not the FENDER sized washers, but they are 1-1/4" outer diameter. I read another poster who said this worked out fine for them. I haven't built my conversion yet, but I'll post here if I run into issues.

$28 for all of my parts at Menards. Already had a cooler with a spigot.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #2254
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sd View Post
I apologize, but I didn't read every post on this thread. I followed the instructions from the post and built myself a MLT for about $90 out the door. I bought all the parts for a second one for my brother as well. I am currently enjoying my first all grain 1.75 IPA (not quite a double IPA), and I'm quite happy with the results. My tip for those who are going to build this: Use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to separate the stainless from the fittings/hose, it makes the ends of the SS sheath nice and clean and easy to work with. Also, I used regular zinc cut washers for the inside fitting as I was unable to find SS washers large enough. Big mistake, they were rusting after the first brew. I've done two brews since then, but now the washers are rusted to the point that I can't risk ruining a brew. When I got the parts for my brother's MLT, the home depot had the "Create a bolt" kit in stock, so I'll take some of his (they weren't in stock when I built mine).

Just looked up my receipts, the total cost in the central valley, CA, 2012, was 89.18 out the door.

I put mine together in less than an hour and used it the following morning. This is a perfect example of ignorance being bliss; I was only somewhat familiar with the concepts of AG brewing but I tried it and it worked out. Now I need to learn exactly what it is that I'm supposed to be doing, rather than relying on dumb luck...
I have some spare SS washers if you need a couple... shipped from northern CA, so they'd be there quick. Send me a message if you want some.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #2255
lobotion
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yes just made mine they have the 5 gallon for 19.99 in home depot

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #2256
drummerboyas157
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The home depot 10 gal cooler i got must have a different size hole unless everyone else had a very loose 3/8ths nipple. it seems like i could fit a 3/4 in there. Anyone else notice this? I cant get a 1 inch i tried that already.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #2257
lobotion
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyas157 View Post
The home depot 10 gal cooler i got must have a different size hole unless everyone else had a very loose 3/8ths nipple. it seems like i could fit a 3/4 in there. Anyone else notice this? I cant get a 1 inch i tried that already.
Yes mine is a little lose I have the 3/8 nipple but what I did was a rubber grommet. but it works no leaks

Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #2258
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyas157
Did you keep the original rubber grommet piece from the cooler? I just built this using the HD Rubbermaid cooler, and the nipple was not an issue.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #2259
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

I made this last week and already brewed four 5 gallon brews in it! Lovin it!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #2260
drummerboyas157
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think i am going to do 1/2 inch fittings seems to fit better

Quick Reply