Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #2241
mattyb85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Typically yes however I had the cooler already and it will keep h2o at very steady temp for a decent amount of time. I'll heat the h2o in a regular 5gal pot that I use when brewing kits and put it in the HLT. One day I'll buy another pot to turn into a traditional HLT but for now the cooler will have to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #2242
hnsfeigel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Right on, was just curious because others had previously mentioned doing the same thing. Couldn't figure how you guys were heating them.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #2243
JohnnySardonic
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsfeigel
Ok, so this is probably a stupid question, but I've only been brewing for 6 mos so chalk it up to newbie. Isn't the point of the HLT to be able to heat water in it? If you're using a cooler you couldn't exactly put a fire to it. Good looking setup BTW.
In a lot of home brewing setups (especially those using only one burner), the HLT is used to store the sparge water while the mash is happening, rather than heating up the liquor. At least that's how I see it.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #2244
hnsfeigel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I guess that's what threw me off, because I am used to being able to fire my HLT just in case my mash finishes a little low and I need a bump to mashout. I just like to understand how different setups work.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #2245
grasshopperfirestarter
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thank you flyguy! I have been brewing all grain for the last year on my gas stove using 2 pots. Its been fun but messy! I know my system and actually get good efficiencies but I want to take it outside so after seeing your post I went to my local home depot for cooler and most parts and local small hardware store for some parts. It looks beautiful and doesn't leak. It cost me right under $100 and I can't wait to take it for a test run this week!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #2246
FloridaCracker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Flyguy,
Thanks for the article, put mine together last night! I followed your parts list and it all went together very well. I went to Lowes for my project, and the grand total was right at $75. Lucky for me the 10 gallon cooler was on sale for $38 as opposed to the listed price of $44.99.

I used it for a cream ale last night and all went well. I added four gallons of 165 degree water, then the grain. The temperature stayed at 155 for the entire hour. My only complaint is that it drains pretty slow. But seeing how my LHBS wanted $145 for the same thing, I don't mind waiting a couple extra minutes.

Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #2247
FloridaCracker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I just wanted to add, that I could NOT find a ss fender washer in that size. So I had to buy a $13 bit for my drill press and enlarge another ss fender washer. If it wasn't for that the entire build time would have been 25 minutes... The washer took another 35 (the 5/8 bit was a little smaller than the 5/8 threads so I had to grind it down.)

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #2248
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Lowes around me didn't have the washes either but home depot did.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #2249
geeyoupee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannell77
Lowes around me didn't have the washes either but home depot did.
I had the same problem. If you check online you can find which HD had the create a bolt kit. The ones near me didn't have it so I went to fastenals and got a 10pk of ss washers . My cooler needed 7 or 8 total washers to work so I used the ss ones because I didn't get enough regular ones.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #2250
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Found a hardware store with 5/8" stainless steel FLAT washers...anyone had luck with these? I guess the outer diameter isn't as big as a fender washer? The OD on these are 1-1/4". I think this might be large enough, but just thought I'd check. Couldn't readily find anyone else trying these when searching the thread.

EDIT: Sorry I take it back. I went deeper and found this post. Said they worked fine for him.

Quick Reply