Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #2161
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
blaster_54738's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eleva, WI
Posts: 384
Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
For anyone living near a Menard's. they have a 5 gallon RubberMaid beverage cooler for $20 with a $10 rebate. I know that this is not the size given in this thread but for people who have limited space it might be usefull.
I went and picked up 2 of them the other day, still need to test if they are water tight
__________________
blaster_54738 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #2162
gritmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 69
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
I went and picked up 2 of them the other day, still need to test if they are water tight
I just built one to use as an HLT using the $10 menards 5-gal...used exact same parts as the 10-gallon, except for the SS braid, obviously. Leak free w/ my hottest tap water. I did have to use like 5 or 6 5/8" washers, though - I think the wall of the 5-gal is thinner than the 10-gal.
__________________
gritmaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #2163
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
blaster_54738's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eleva, WI
Posts: 384
Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritmaster View Post
I just built one to use as an HLT using the $10 menards 5-gal...used exact same parts as the 10-gallon, except for the SS braid, obviously. Leak free w/ my hottest tap water. I did have to use like 5 or 6 5/8" washers, though - I think the wall of the 5-gal is thinner than the 10-gal.
I used 1 on the inside and 5 on the outside, Menards actually had 5/8" washers and good thing they sold them in 6 packs
__________________
blaster_54738 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #2164
TheMagicHatter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 45
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but if the hold for the spigot is not drilled dead center in the recessed area where the 5/8 inch washer goes, you're screwed. The idea of the washer is to hold the entire assembly in place so if the hole is drilled off center, the washers will not do their job. Just wasted money on a damn cooler with spigot hole drilled too low.

__________________

Experience the warmth before you grow old. -Incubus

TheMagicHatter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #2165
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,330
Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicHatter View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but if the hold for the spigot is not drilled dead center in the recessed area where the 5/8 inch washer goes, you're screwed. The idea of the washer is to hold the entire assembly in place so if the hole is drilled off center, the washers will not do their job. Just wasted money on a damn cooler with spigot hole drilled too low.
Can't you just plug the hole with a rubber stopper and drill a new hole? That should work out fine.
__________________
bovineblitz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #2166
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pie_Man's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,344
Liked 132 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Hey everyone, probably a dumb question, but I'm not entirely sure of the answer, so I'll ask anyway. Do the SS fender washers need to slip over the middle part of the nipple? The washers I found slip over the threaded part, but not the unthreaded, middle, section.

This seems to create a space between the outside washers and the outside of the cooler. I'm unable to get a snug fit because of this and the cooler leaks. The way it is now, the unit can move front to back a little bit. Thanks in advance.

__________________
Pie_Man is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #2167
grimstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 251
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Hey everyone, probably a dumb question, but I'm not entirely sure of the answer, so I'll ask anyway. Do the SS fender washers need to slip over the middle part of the nipple? The washers I found slip over the threaded part, but not the unthreaded, middle, section.

This seems to create a space between the outside washers and the outside of the cooler. I'm unable to get a snug fit because of this and the cooler leaks. The way it is now, the unit can move front to back a little bit. Thanks in advance.
I think this might depend on how long your threaded nipple is. On mine, the stainless steel washer (1) on the inside doesn't slip all the way to the center of the nipple, but only up to the threads. I think no matter how long or short your threaded nipple is, you need to pull it outward, and add enough steel washers on the outside to make it a snug fit.
__________________
grimstuff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #2168
steinsato
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
steinsato's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 1,224
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I snugged mine up by adding more washers and o rings. The o rings will fit over that non threaded section. To answer your question, no the washers do not fit over the nonthreaded part.

__________________

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

steinsato is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #2169
scottiws
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bayport, NY
Posts: 39
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato
I snugged mine up by adding more washers and o rings. The o rings will fit over that non threaded section. To answer your question, no the washers do not fit over the nonthreaded part.
On mine the washers fit over the non threaded section, the washers compress the o ring and I dont exactly understand how you would be able to get a snug enough fit to get it to not leak without having it that way.
__________________
scottiws is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #2170
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pie_Man's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,344
Liked 132 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiws View Post
On mine the washers fit over the non threaded section, the washers compress the o ring and I dont exactly understand how you would be able to get a snug enough fit to get it to not leak without having it that way.
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm in the same boat as scottiws. If I pull everything outward so that the inside washer is snug to the inside wall, I can't get the outside washers to touch the cooler and make a snug fit. There's maybe a half inche gap between the washer and the cooler.

With the cooler and parts that I have, I think the washers (at least some of them) need to fit over the unthreaded portion of the nipple, or I need to find a shorter nipple piece. I guess not all 5/8 SS fender washers are created equal. I got the exact part number nipple piece as the OP, and the washers at an Ace Hardware store. I'll have to try a different hardware store, or wait until Monday when I can go to Fastenal and see what they have.
__________________
Pie_Man is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEAP 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Water Cooler rj_hockey Equipment/Sanitation 11 05-30-2012 04:26 PM
Rubbermaid conversion bbrim Equipment/Sanitation 2 02-27-2009 09:30 PM
10 gallon and 5 gallon rubbermaid water coolers delivered for 68 bucks. RedOctober Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-12-2008 05:33 PM
Cheap & Easy 5 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion Brutus Brewer Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-29-2008 03:04 AM
conversion kit for 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler? Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 08-09-2006 06:21 PM