Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #2161
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
For anyone living near a Menard's. they have a 5 gallon RubberMaid beverage cooler for $20 with a $10 rebate. I know that this is not the size given in this thread but for people who have limited space it might be usefull.
I went and picked up 2 of them the other day, still need to test if they are water tight

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #2162
gritmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster_54738 View Post
I went and picked up 2 of them the other day, still need to test if they are water tight
I just built one to use as an HLT using the $10 menards 5-gal...used exact same parts as the 10-gallon, except for the SS braid, obviously. Leak free w/ my hottest tap water. I did have to use like 5 or 6 5/8" washers, though - I think the wall of the 5-gal is thinner than the 10-gal.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #2163
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gritmaster View Post
I just built one to use as an HLT using the $10 menards 5-gal...used exact same parts as the 10-gallon, except for the SS braid, obviously. Leak free w/ my hottest tap water. I did have to use like 5 or 6 5/8" washers, though - I think the wall of the 5-gal is thinner than the 10-gal.
I used 1 on the inside and 5 on the outside, Menards actually had 5/8" washers and good thing they sold them in 6 packs

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #2164
TheMagicHatter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but if the hold for the spigot is not drilled dead center in the recessed area where the 5/8 inch washer goes, you're screwed. The idea of the washer is to hold the entire assembly in place so if the hole is drilled off center, the washers will not do their job. Just wasted money on a damn cooler with spigot hole drilled too low.

Experience the warmth before you grow old. -Incubus

Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #2165
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicHatter View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but if the hold for the spigot is not drilled dead center in the recessed area where the 5/8 inch washer goes, you're screwed. The idea of the washer is to hold the entire assembly in place so if the hole is drilled off center, the washers will not do their job. Just wasted money on a damn cooler with spigot hole drilled too low.
Can't you just plug the hole with a rubber stopper and drill a new hole? That should work out fine.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #2166
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hey everyone, probably a dumb question, but I'm not entirely sure of the answer, so I'll ask anyway. Do the SS fender washers need to slip over the middle part of the nipple? The washers I found slip over the threaded part, but not the unthreaded, middle, section.

This seems to create a space between the outside washers and the outside of the cooler. I'm unable to get a snug fit because of this and the cooler leaks. The way it is now, the unit can move front to back a little bit. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #2167
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Hey everyone, probably a dumb question, but I'm not entirely sure of the answer, so I'll ask anyway. Do the SS fender washers need to slip over the middle part of the nipple? The washers I found slip over the threaded part, but not the unthreaded, middle, section.

This seems to create a space between the outside washers and the outside of the cooler. I'm unable to get a snug fit because of this and the cooler leaks. The way it is now, the unit can move front to back a little bit. Thanks in advance.
I think this might depend on how long your threaded nipple is. On mine, the stainless steel washer (1) on the inside doesn't slip all the way to the center of the nipple, but only up to the threads. I think no matter how long or short your threaded nipple is, you need to pull it outward, and add enough steel washers on the outside to make it a snug fit.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #2168
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I snugged mine up by adding more washers and o rings. The o rings will fit over that non threaded section. To answer your question, no the washers do not fit over the nonthreaded part.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #2169
scottiws
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato
I snugged mine up by adding more washers and o rings. The o rings will fit over that non threaded section. To answer your question, no the washers do not fit over the nonthreaded part.
On mine the washers fit over the non threaded section, the washers compress the o ring and I dont exactly understand how you would be able to get a snug enough fit to get it to not leak without having it that way.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #2170
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiws View Post
On mine the washers fit over the non threaded section, the washers compress the o ring and I dont exactly understand how you would be able to get a snug enough fit to get it to not leak without having it that way.
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm in the same boat as scottiws. If I pull everything outward so that the inside washer is snug to the inside wall, I can't get the outside washers to touch the cooler and make a snug fit. There's maybe a half inche gap between the washer and the cooler.

With the cooler and parts that I have, I think the washers (at least some of them) need to fit over the unthreaded portion of the nipple, or I need to find a shorter nipple piece. I guess not all 5/8 SS fender washers are created equal. I got the exact part number nipple piece as the OP, and the washers at an Ace Hardware store. I'll have to try a different hardware store, or wait until Monday when I can go to Fastenal and see what they have.

Quick Reply