Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #2121
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoe82 View Post
http://www.homebrewing.org/All-Grain-Equipment_c_185.html

Adventures In Homebrewing use them for their AG setups. They say they're the best on the market.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #2122
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrooze View Post
http://www.homebrewing.org/All-Grain-Equipment_c_185.html

Adventures In Homebrewing use them for their AG setups. They say they're the best on the market.
Sweet! I picked one up cheap off of Ebay ($55 shipped). I am going to give this a shot with the ball valve equipment for the rubbermaid, which I assume is the same.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #2123
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoe82 View Post
Just look at the comments section on the amazon page

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #2124
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I got this one at Walmart for $39.98. Works great and held temps with only a degree or two loss.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Beverage-Jug-Orange-and-White-10-Gallon/14550424

Old 03-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #2125
Alfalfa_Male
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuBaR1218 View Post
I am looking to build a MLT like this but have been reading that only having a central draining point, which just running the braided hose would create, will cause the grain in the middle to become overly rinsed while sparging etc that may release tannins. Which would then leave an off taste. Anyone have any experience with this?

I am having an argument with my buddy as to whether to go with the braided hose or build a manifold out of copper tubing.
FuBaR1218,
I used a longer braided hose and coiled it on my 5 gallon version. I wrapped some heavy copper wire around a screwdriver and inserted it into the braid to help it keep the coil shape and help prevent it from collapsing.

And for those of you living near a Menards and looking for stainless steel fender washers, they have them for ~$2 for a 6-pack.
-mark-

Old 03-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #2126
CidCitrus
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 25

has anyone ever noticed that when you look up anything like the washers online you get suggestions for everything else you need to make the MLT?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #2127
madamimadam
Recipes 

Hey guys,

You'll have to forgive me for not reading through all 213 pages, I only read through 26 and couldn't find an answer.

Is there any reason to not just use a large mesh bag (or make an even bigger one) inside the cooler, and forget about the whole braided hose thing? You could just raise the bag a bit when you drain and it should drain way quicker than through a braided supply! Cleanup would be a breeze afterwards, too.

If I'm totally off track here I apologize, I've never brewed before but this is certainly how I will doing my first batch this weekend.

Last edited by madamimadam; 03-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #2128
rockinmarty
Big Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamimadam View Post
Hey guys,

You'll have to forgive me for not reading through all 213 pages, I only read through 26 and couldn't find an answer.

Is there any reason to not just use a large mesh bag (or make an even bigger one) inside the cooler, and forget about the whole braided hose thing? You could just raise the bag a bit when you drain and it should drain way quicker than through a braided supply! Cleanup would be a breeze afterwards, too.

If I'm totally off track here I apologize, I've never brewed before but this is certainly how I will doing my first batch this weekend.
You should check out BIAB (brew in a bag) systems. And we don't use a bag in this system cause you wouldn't get a uniform grain bed for sparging.

Enjoy your first brew

Tabhair dom beoir nó a thabhairt dom bháis
My E-brewery build(as cheap as possible)(Be patient slow progress)

Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #2129
madamimadam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmarty View Post
You should check out BIAB (brew in a bag) systems. And we don't use a bag in this system cause you wouldn't get a uniform grain bed for sparging.

Enjoy your first brew
Ok, what if your bag was less of a bag, and more of a big sheet that you could lay flat on the bottom ? You could still have a uniform grain bed when you sparge, but when you are ready to drain you can just pull it all up! Am I making sense?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #2130
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamimadam
Hey guys,

It wouldn't drain any quicker IMO, my rig drains super quick. Too quick actually. And as far as cleanup, your idea sound dirtier. You'd have to dump out that grain bag and get all the grain out of the mesh, and then end up having to clean the mash tun anyway

Quick Reply