New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #1921
spenghali
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

has anyone experimented with buying a longer SS braid and spiraling it on the floor of the cooler?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #1922
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali
has anyone experimented with buying a longer SS braid and spiraling it on the floor of the cooler?
I doubt it would make much of a difference if you're batch sparging. Spiraling the braid and keeping it spiraled while stirring the mash seems like a lot of effort for no increase in efficiency. A better approach might be to purchase a t-shaped fitting in place of the barb and connecting both ends of a larger braid. Still, i doubt it will make a difference if you're batch sparging.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 12-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #1923
wmarkw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok I got it to work. I went and bought a rubber gasket/stopper at Lowes that fits perfectly inside the hole of the cooler. Then I used the stock stopper and butted it up against that inside and then followed the directions from there. I only used 1 washer on the outside as well. Hand tighten from there an no leaks so far. A pia but hopefully well worth it. Thanks for the help all.

Last edited by wmarkw; 12-01-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #1924
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Another question, does anyone know the inner (ID) and outer diameter (OD) of the o-ring they used? What about the washers? I guess the washers don't really matter as much as the o-ring size.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #1925
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali
Another question, does anyone know the inner (ID) and outer diameter (OD) of the o-ring they used? What about the washers? I guess the washers don't really matter as much as the o-ring size.
I used a #12 o-ring. You'll have to purchase a pack of 10 or 12, most likely. For the washers, I went with this kit: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202249572&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=3840163&cm_mmc=CJ-_-3840163-_-10368321&AID=10368321&cj=true&locStoreNum=6206

There were three or four washers included that were the perfect size for the indentation on the front of the home depot coolers. I also used a few 5/8" flat washers on the outside to make sure everything was tight. Their outside diameter is a bit larger.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1926
wmarkw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I spoke too soon again. I have a tiny, tiny leak; basically like a bead of moisture between the seal of the ball valve and the brass nipple. I watched it for about 45 mins and it didnt drip so not sure if I'm over thinking it or what. Gonna re-do the seal in the inside cooler again. But basically if I have any signs of a leak on the outside of the cooler it means that some of the beer/water, etc. will be leaking inside the shell of the cooler into the insulating foam which could cause mold, etc??.

I'm an idiot; I do not show a leak where the washers are so that means my seal on the inside is good; but rather the seal of the ball valve and the brass nipple so maybe another o-ring will work?? I also picked up a pack of garden hose washers that I thought would work but they stretch.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #1927
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I some of my leaks were also cured by more Teflon tape on the threads. I'm used to PVC piping that seals a lot easier. These metal fittings required a good amount of tape and a really tight fit

Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM   #1928
Sdtastentune
Recipes 

Ok, did this with 2 home-depot 10g coolers, only difference was I had to use 1" close nipples instead of the 1 1/2 on the parts list. Could not get my parts to clamp down enough with the 1 1/2 nipple. I also recommend finding all lead free brass parts. A little expensive but worth it. All home depot fittings were lead free, some from the hardware store were not. Also I used the thickest o ring available, fit ok/pretty good but the thicker the better.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #1929
SauceBoss
Recipes 

My SS washers should be at my local Fastenal on Monday and I play on my first AG next week. Ill post updates again when everything is completed. Thanks again for your awesome post Flyguy

Kegged -

Upcoming - Mint Chocolate Stout, Imperial Milk Stout

Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #1930
PCharles
Recipes 

Default Thanks

Thanks so much for the excellent photos and detail. I hope to put one of these together next year... this is just the info I need.

Cheers,

Paul

Quick Reply