Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #1851
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've made a 5 gallon and 10 gallon rubbermade mash tun and have found that the 10 gallon doesn't hold heat nearly as well as the 5 gallon version. It's not a headspace issue either, I typically fill them to the top with water and grains. The 5 gallon cooler typically lost about 2 degrees during the 1 hour mash and I've noticed the 10 gallon loses a good 6 degrees during a one hour mash. Anyone else notice this?

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #1852
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I'm not sure how you guys are collapsing these braids... I've had this thing completely packed several times now, stirring it like a bad boy and the braid still looks perfect. Is it possible that you're smashing the braid with your mash paddle somehow?
I think it's really more of an issue over time due mainly to stirring. My first braid was fine for about 10 brews then started getting all stretched and oddly shaped. It worked fine and I didn't really worry about it. Then one day I decided to change how my braid sat in there and figured I'd get a spring to put in the braid to ensure it'll last forever.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #1853
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
I've made a 5 gallon and 10 gallon rubbermade mash tun and have found that the 10 gallon doesn't hold heat nearly as well as the 5 gallon version. It's not a headspace issue either, I typically fill them to the top with water and grains. The 5 gallon cooler typically lost about 2 degrees during the 1 hour mash and I've noticed the 10 gallon loses a good 6 degrees during a one hour mash. Anyone else notice this?
I lose about a degree in mine (rubbermaid) and I can see that some of the insulation is a little warped. Do you cover your lid with a heavy blanket/couple of towels? I do that every time and the towels actually get a little warm so I assume it makes a big difference.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1854
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid. I have only done 4 batches in it but have never lost more than 2 degrees over a 60 minute mash. I don't cover with blankets but I am brewing outside in Florida so the outside temperature is relatively high.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #1855
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I haven't covered my lid with blankets yet. I'll try that next time and may even wrap one around the sides. It's been in the 60s the last couple times I used it. And after only 3 batches, the inside is pretty warped.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 11-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #1856
AbusedRib
Recipes 

I want to build this setup, but with 1/2" fittings instead.

Anybody have a parts list for this? Particularly the O-Ring and fender washers I will need?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #1857
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato
I did a test this past weekend and the 10 gal Rubbermaid lost about 5-6 degrees an hour over the period of a few hours with about 5 gallons of mash temp water. What I found most interesting is that the water near the top was much cooler than water at depth.

Next brew I think I'll do the blanket cover. I also need to look into expanding foam into the lid.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #1858
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2663 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron

I did a test this past weekend and the 10 gal Rubbermaid lost about 5-6 degrees an hour over the period of a few hours with about 5 gallons of mash temp water. What I found most interesting is that the water near the top was much cooler than water at depth.

Next brew I think I'll do the blanket cover. I also need to look into expanding foam into the lid.
I think you will find that at least 4 of those degrees were lost in the first 10 minutes, with the other 2 drifting over the length of your test. When I do a mash in this thing after preheating it I barely lose a half degree over an hour. That is strange about the water being cooler at the top, since heat rises.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #1859
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I think you will find that at least 4 of those degrees were lost in the first 10 minutes, with the other 2 drifting over the length of your test. When I do a mash in this thing after preheating it I barely lose a half degree over an hour. That is strange about the water being cooler at the top, since heat rises.
That is strange, but what I considered was that with half of the cooler being air with an uninsulated lid, I figured heat was escaping out the top more than the sides and bottom. And by cooler, it's no more than a degree. The thing about my tests is that I had that 5 gallons sitting there in the cooler for about 4 hours. It was by no means scientific, but I had just done a brew where I lost about 4-5 degrees over the hour, so I wanted to see what the cooler was actually losing without my interference. Turns out it was about the same.

What I've been doing to preheat is to make strike water and fill the MT for 10-15 minutes.... to then empty it back into the HLT and reheat. I think that's losing me a few degrees right there. Instead, I think I'll leave half the hot water in the MT and reheat in the HLT as needed to bring it back up. Any fine temp control can be done by adding small amounts of hot/cold water, stirring, etc.

Edit: Here's an earlier post where somebody has filled the lid with expanding foam - seems like that + wrapping in blankets helps:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...ml#post2754307

Last edited by mistercameron; 11-09-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added link

Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #1860
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbusedRib View Post
I want to build this setup, but with 1/2" fittings instead.

Anybody have a parts list for this? Particularly the O-Ring and fender washers I will need?
I'm doing one with all 1/2" fittings and a rectangular cooler but I can post the parts list when it's done if that would be helpful.

As far as the washers/o-rings go I'm using the 3/4" ones. I couldn't find the washers in stainless steel so i tried to just use them on the outside but I'm not sure it's gonna work. The size seems right though.
Secondary:
Kegged: Caramel Hard Cider, Belgian Milk Stout, Double Wit
Bottled: Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Quick Reply