Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #1621
jimlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

here are a couple shots of the parts loosely put together. note the white plastic and black rubber washer from the original spigot setup. the only thing missing in these pics is the O ring that will go between the fender washer and the outer wall of the cooler. thinking I will screw everything together, teflon tape, etc. and dump in some hot water to see if I get any leaks. If I get a leak I may need to search for a large (3/4") stainless or brass fender washer for the inside.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #1622
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

here's the shot with the rubber washer (original from the cooler) on the correct side. Using the cooler's existing plastic "washer" (seeing that I don't have a fender washer that fits yet) between rubber washer and the brass fitting. Going to tighten this thing up later this weekend and test for leaks. If it leaks I'll need to find a SS or brass fender washer big enough to fit over the 1/2 nipple.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #1623
kevin123
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks FlyGuy!

I have read this entire thread on and off for the past 3 days but I knew from the start I wanted to do this and get into all grain.

I picked up all the fittings for around $27 bucks and am using some Amazon credit I had left to get the Rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler shipped to me overnight for around $4 total.

So tomorrow for a little more than $30 from my pocket I should have one of these bad boys ready to go.

I am using all the parts recommended in the original post with the exception of an additional barb with a plug at the end for the stainless braid. I didn't have any problems finding all the parts...all fittings from Lowe's (awesome having the part numbers!), the stainless fender washer from a local bolt shop for 50 cents, the lhbs had all stainless worm clamps for 1.50 ea and I picked up a couple o-rings for free at the local o-ring store!

Woo-Hoo! If all goes well I will be brewing my first all-grainer on Friday! Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #1624
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

What would be the best way to clean this converted mash tun? I used hot soapy water thus far and it seemed like it was working fine.. I haven't done an all ag in about a month and we're gearing up to brew tomorrow night, I opened my cooler and WHOOMF! Big sour smell to the face!

It looks clean, I scrubbed it out the last time we used it, I sanitized afterwards... Is there an additional step I'm missing here? Any recommendations on what I could soak in this overnight to help remove that sour smell?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #1625
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ok, I've gone thru all 100+ pages on my phone and need a verdict. Besides zip ties, what are some other specific methods that have been used successfully to secure the SS mesh to the "tube" or pipe. I've seen reference to marine grade SS clamps. Would a place like West Marine have these? Any idea about automotive type clamps?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #1626
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82
What would be the best way to clean this converted mash tun? I used hot soapy water thus far and it seemed like it was working fine.. I haven't done an all ag in about a month and we're gearing up to brew tomorrow night, I opened my cooler and WHOOMF! Big sour smell to the face!

It looks clean, I scrubbed it out the last time we used it, I sanitized afterwards... Is there an additional step I'm missing here? Any recommendations on what I could soak in this overnight to help remove that sour smell?
I would try baking soda. Also, I just use dish detergent to clean my cooler after a brew session. I've noticed musty smells sometimes from my tun, but I keep it in the garage where it can easily reach over 120F. If it stinks before a brew session, I just wash it again and put a baking soda solution in there the night before and thoroughly rinse it out prior to mashing. Always has worked for me.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #1627
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidry
Ok, I've gone thru all 100+ pages on my phone and need a verdict. Besides zip ties, what are some other specific methods that have been used successfully to secure the SS mesh to the "tube" or pipe. I've seen reference to marine grade SS clamps. Would a place like West Marine have these? Any idea about automotive type clamps?
Worm clamps work very well. Here's whatvthey are called at WM: BREEZE BOOSTER
300-Series Stainless Steel Hose Clamps
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Festbier (ECY15), Oaked Brett Saison Primary: Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), Oaked Brett Saison on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/09/27
Untappd: barrooze

Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #1628
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

BINGO!! Got'em! This is finally working out. Pics coming soon!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #1629
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post

I used bleach/water, took the smell out right away. The trick to never letting this happen again: let the mash tun air dry overnight, open, upside-down. You have to store it bone dry or else the nasties will return.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #1630
kevin123
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just put mine together...no leaks yet! It took about 30 minutes...I did have a hard time taking the tubing out of the ss braid. I pushed and pushed with some needle nose pliers to no avail. Ended up soaking it in a bowl of boiling water for about 3 minutes...I was able to pull it off quite easily (while pushing against the pliers to keep the braid compressed.) If I didn't have the trouble with the braid this thing would have been together in 5-10 minutes tops. Thanks again and I can't wait to do my first all grain batch tomorrow!

Reason: edited for grammer

Quick Reply