Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #121
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModlrMike
I just used this thread to convert a 3 gallon "Bubba keg cooler" into a mini mash tun. I used a 3/8 rubber grommet to line the hole from the old spigot, and had to make a plastic washer for the outside, to act as a stand-off so that the ball valve would close completely.

Cooler = Canadian Tire = 23.00
Parts = Rona = 9.00 (the wife gets an employee discount)
Ready for partial mash = priceless
Hey -- that's the same cooler I started with! Works great! (Just used it tonight, in fact, for my first partial mash in a long time.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #122
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just had to post to say that I just finished putting together my 5 gallon MLT. I'm half tempted to call in "sick" tomorrow just cause I'm that anxious to try my first PM. Oh, and I've had a couple HB's which always makes calling off sound like a good idea.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 07-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #123
subourbonite
Recipes 

So I brewed my first AG batch using this cooler yesterday - the cap on the end of the vinyl tubing/ss hose fell off and caused a bit of grain to make it into the wort, but nothing too bad - I'm still fermenting the batch off to see how it turns out.

However, I noticed that the inside lining of the cooler (not sure what else to call it) has now bulged out in a vertical section along the entire height of the inside of the cooler. It doesn't appear to be cracked, and it's not leaking - I think it was due to the heat of the mash. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I get a different cooler, or is this normal?

I used the 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler from Home Depot, in case it matters..

Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #124
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do have a new question. Where did everyone find "high temperature" O-rings. I just bought the only ones they sold at a local hardware store and the gentlemen there told me they are rated at 220 F, which would be cutting it pretty close in my boil kettle. Anyone know where I can get some food grade high temp ones? Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance!

-Jek

In the Works:

Last edited by Jekster; 07-26-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #125
kpellicone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks !!

I know you have had many replies after this one, but I just made my own MLT with your instructions and I wanted to thank you. The only difference was that I used a 5 gallon cooler. The parts list, instructions, pictures were awesome and I just wanted to thank you for posting everything . I tested it last night, no leaks, no rust, Perfect !!

Gracias !

Happy Brewing

Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #126
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekster
I do have a new question. Where did everyone find "high temperature" O-rings. I just bought the only ones they sold at a local hardware store and the gentlemen there told me they are rated at 220 F, which would be cutting it pretty close in my boil kettle. Anyone know where I can get some food grade high temp ones? Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance!

-Jek
I had to go online to find the ones I used in a boil kettle. Otherwise, those 220F seals work fine in a mash tun.

McMaster-Carr (http://mcmaster.com) sells silicone o-rings that work at really high temps. Or many online LHBS dealers sell them too.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #127
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpellicone
I know you have had many replies after this one, but I just made my own MLT with your instructions and I wanted to thank you. The only difference was that I used a 5 gallon cooler. The parts list, instructions, pictures were awesome and I just wanted to thank you for posting everything . I tested it last night, no leaks, no rust, Perfect !!

Gracias !

Happy Brewing
Hey, glad it worked out for you! Thanks for the note. Cheers!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #128
dcunitedfan
Recipes 

Default silicone o-rings

Thanks for the instructions, this was what I needed to get over the hump and start the journey into all-grain (had thought a mashing kit would cost considerably more).

To anyone who is putting together their own kit - following the same idea as skifast1, I purchased a quantity of silicone o-rings from McMaster-Carr. ID 5/8", OD 7/8", FDA spec, -65F to 450F, part #9396K81. This seems to be a good fit for my 5 gal Home Depot cooler. I'll offer the same deal, one dollar each, shipping included. PM me if interested.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #129
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
That's a really good idea, especially if you are using the tubing insert inside the braid. Elegant solution -- I think I might change mine, too! It would hold the braid really well, yet allow for easy cleaning. Thanks for the suggestion.
I am building mine right now.....with an Igloo cooler. Can someone explain what this is instead of? Does this mean I don't need the vinyl tubing? I went to 3 hardware stores and not only did they not have AN Y 5/8" fender washers (let alone ss), they did not have any 7/16 X 5/16 high temp tubing. I am only using it for my MLT, but I don't think industrial vinyl will hold up to 170+.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #130
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
I am building mine right now.....with an Igloo cooler. Can someone explain what this is instead of? Does this mean I don't need the vinyl tubing? I went to 3 hardware stores and not only did they not have AN Y 5/8" fender washers (let alone ss), they did not have any 7/16 X 5/16 high temp tubing. I am only using it for my MLT, but I don't think industrial vinyl will hold up to 170+.
You don't need the vinyl tubing on the inside of the cooler. That was just a refinement. Most people don't bother.

You do, however, need a SS or brass washer on the inside. A plated steel washer will corrode and could cause off-flavours in your beer. PM Skifast1 -- he has them for sale at his cost.

Quick Reply