Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #111
denimglen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome, thanks heaps mate!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #112
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm about to assemble this on a 5gal cooler. A word to the wise: I found NONE of the Watts parts at my local Ace, Home Depot, or Menards.

Praise the Gods...they just opened a Lowe's here a month or so back, and sure enough, they had every part number listed, and were the only ones to have anything close to a 5/8" SS washer (I had to get 3/4", so I might toss a second o-ring on the inside of the brass nipple, if I experience any leaks).

I'll update this post with the results later. Thanks again for the sweet write up! Partial Mashing is planned for the next batch!

update - first leak test...very minor leak. the 3/4" SS washer has too big a hole for the brass barb (inside the cooler) to seat properly.
Yanked it out and replaced with a black nylon gasket I robbed from a water bed drain/filler attachment.
second leak test done over night...there was a single drop on the outside barb the next morning.

that 5/8" SS washer on the inside primarily adds stability to the spigot, so when you open the ball valve it doesn't move side to side nearly as much.

So I'll probably be PM'ing skifast1 for the correct washer.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Last edited by malkore; 07-10-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 AM   #113
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
...the only ones to have anything close to a 5/8" SS washer (I had to get 3/4", so I might toss a second o-ring on the inside of the brass nipple, if I experience any leaks)
A shiny silver dollar will get you a shiny 5/8" SS washer, delivered - see my sig

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 07-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #114
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went out and bought everything I need for this last night but the one item I had a problem with was the SS braid. Most of the braids carried by my Home Depot are of the engineered polymer variety and the only foot long SS I could get was 3/8" in diameter, I wanted to go at least 1/2". The one thing I did find that I thought would work is a 48" by 3/4" SS hose for a washer hook-up. However, I do have one concern.

When you cut the SS braid are you cutting the braid material itself or the metal fitting on the end of the braid? I had always heard that cutting SS is bad, that where you cut can and will corrode. If you can cut through the braid without a problem then I was just going to cut a length to fit my cooler from the 48” and save the rest for future MLTs.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 07-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #115
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used a rotary tool (Dremel) to cut the fittings clean off each end (i.e. cut through the braid right beside the fittings). Then I used a pair of needlenose pliers to hold the inner plastic hose and 'pushed' off the braid.

I have not seen any corrosion of the braid itself (although I did find that the original hose clamps I used were corroding -- see my thread). I have also never heard anyone complain that the braid would corrode. As I understand it, if you cut it clean, the SS will re-passivate itself naturally. I don't think it is a concern at all.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 PM   #116
subourbonite
Recipes 

I have one question regarding the update to the instructions (substituting cut vinyl tubing for the hose clamps).

FlyGuy states the he used 7/16" x 5/17" vinyl tubing... I am not the most handy guy in the world, so I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about. I am guessing that this means 7/16" outer diameter, 5/17" inner diameter? Common sense dictates that the 7/16" outer diameter would fit nicely and snugly into the 1/2" SS braid, but being clueless, I wanted to make sure before I hosed this assembly (no pun intended).

Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #117
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subourbonite
I have one question regarding the update to the instructions (substituting cut vinyl tubing for the hose clamps).

FlyGuy states the he used 7/16" x 5/17" vinyl tubing... I am not the most handy guy in the world, so I'm not exactly sure what he's talking about. I am guessing that this means 7/16" outer diameter, 5/17" inner diameter? Common sense dictates that the 7/16" outer diameter would fit nicely and snugly into the 1/2" SS braid, but being clueless, I wanted to make sure before I hosed this assembly (no pun intended).
Sorry man -- that was a typo. I just fixed it to read 7/16" x 5/16". And yes, the first number is the outer diameter and the second is the inner diameter of the tubing.

Sorry for the confusion!

Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #118
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

well, I am just finishing putting together my own one of these - using a 5 gal cooler. Excellent job on the write up FlyGuy. I just printed the parts list and pic, and took it to the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuurang
found a stainless 5/8 washer at Menards in wi. So, there out there. Just not easy to find.
Actually, they have almost every single part there, so... lucky us in Madison, WI. All I had to change was the cap for the SS braid. Ended up getting another 3/8" male barb and a 3/8" hex cap. Worked out great.

5 gal cooler - $17.80 from walmart
parts - $23.07 menards

Plus, if/when I want to go bigger, I only need to buy the cooler now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subourbonite
For the tubing, they didn't have any 7/16" x 5/17" (heh, yeah right). So, I ended up getting 1/2"OD x 3/8"ID polyethylene, seemed to fit fine and was pretty cheap.

Again, hats off to you FlyGuy. I can't wait to try out the new toy!
flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #119
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown Brew
I just printed the parts list and pic, and took it to the store. Actually, they have almost every single part there, so... lucky us in Madison, WI. All I had to change was the cap for the SS braid. Ended up getting another 3/8" male barb and a 3/8" hex cap.
That's a really good idea, especially if you are using the tubing insert inside the braid. Elegant solution -- I think I might change mine, too! It would hold the braid really well, yet allow for easy cleaning. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #120
ModlrMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just used this thread to convert a 3 gallon "Bubba keg cooler" into a mini mash tun. I used a 3/8 rubber grommet to line the hole from the old spigot, and had to make a plastic washer for the outside, to act as a stand-off so that the ball valve would close completely.

Cooler = Canadian Tire = 23.00
Parts = Rona = 9.00 (the wife gets an employee discount)
Ready for partial mash = priceless

On Tap: Cooper's European Lager
On Tap: Smoked Porter
Carboy 1: Don't Kill Kenny Irish Red
Carboy 2: empty
Carboy 3: empty
Aging: Welch's White - 1 gal
Aging: Cranberry/black cherry - 1 gal
Aging: JOAM - 1 gal

Quick Reply