Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #1101
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Not sure as I use clamps. But nylon zip ties seem to be the answer. I am guessing the beefier the better.

Quote:
All SS clamps aren't that hard to come by. The big box stores might not have them, but a plumbing store will. If you don't want to be bothered hunting for them, lots of people in this thread have used nylon zip ties with great success. Or you can use a compression fitting instead of the barb if you want something more secure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #1102
wort_up
Recipes 

I have my mash tun pretty much built, except the marine store I went to only had 1/2" ss fender washers and I have no ability to cut them.

Anyone got an extra 5/8" ss washer they could send me? I would be happy to reimburse you for it. I'm real anxious to start my first AG batch so let me know! Thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #1103
Monty420th
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wort_up View Post
I have my mash tun pretty much built, except the marine store I went to only had 1/2" ss fender washers and I have no ability to cut them.

Anyone got an extra 5/8" ss washer they could send me? I would be happy to reimburse you for it. I'm real anxious to start my first AG batch so let me know! Thanks
I don't know if you tried this or not but...have you looked at 6 or 7mm in metric?

I ended up using 7mm metric SS fender washer that I got from Ace Hardware. I have an extra one, but I am going to save it for a 2nd MLT

try the metric and Ace

Primary 1 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 2 - Santa's Morning Wood
Primary 3 - IPA
Primary 4 - IPA
Keg 1 - Dark lager 1.1
Keg 2 - Dark lager 1.2
Keg 3 - Dark lager 1.3
Keg 4 - Dark lager 1.4
Keg 5 - Coffee stout
Keg 6 - IPA redux
2012 to date - 10Gal

Old 04-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #1104
wort_up
Recipes 

I hadn't tried that but actually BendBrewer is sending me a couple so I guess my problem is solved. Thanks anyway though!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #1105
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 25

my buddy and i just made one of these last night - well, more like i bought the supplies and he assembled it in about 20 minutes...

many thanks, OP - fantastic DIY tutorial, and i saved a good chunk of money

it's finally time for all-grain!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #1106
schreck
Recipes 

ended up having to make two runs to Home Depot.. luckily neither trip was out of the way!

a warning: brasscraft connectors are not stainless steel, but some sort of polymer. made this mistake and didnt realize until i got home - its been said before, but home depot carries a few ss water heater connectors, but even cheaper is the faucet/toilet connector by watts/floodcraft (which is stainless steel). PITA to find (alteast at my location... everything is a mess!, but it should be there mixed in with those brasscraft lookalikes

Home depot only had 1/2" ball valves, so i opted to size up the brass pieces to 1/2", the outside barb is a 1/2 to 3/8" so i can use the std high temp pvc tubing (still have some leftover from my intitial order from austin homebrew. the 1/2" equip fits fine in the 5 gal "lowes" blue igloo cooler.

I also had the obvious trouble of not being able to find a ss fender washer, or any ss washer that would fit for the inside. I opted to forgo the ss washer. Instead i used the original rubber oring and plastic nut that secured the spigot to the cooler on the inside... this piece fits great, i also threw on the recommended o ring from the parts list. Bulkhead is snug and secure after tightening everything up. No leaks yet, but i still need to give it a full test. Il let you know the results.

The fender washers on the outside (i used 3) would not fit up against the outer wall of the cooler (flat part around spigot is slightly narrower than the washer's diameter. After putting 2 o rings on the 1/2" x 1 1/2" brass nipple and then putting the 3 washers on, it provides enough spacing for the washers. (i might swap these washers out for plates/rectagular metal pieces.

I also used nylon zip ties to secure the ss braid (because i had a big bag of them lying around) and to save $$ (home depot was pricey!)

p.s. Home depot has their orange 5 gallon rubbermaids in for ~$18.. (ymmv?)
I will follow up with some pictures.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #1107
schreck
Recipes 

Zip ties worked great! The setup i used (1/2" bulkhead w/o SS fender washer inside) had no problems whatsoever... everything went smoothly for my first real mash!

some pics, (inside pics to follow).

didnt drain all the wort from the sparge... i was doing partial mash and wanted to leave adequate space in the kettle. I went with the late extract method, throwing < 1/2 of the LME in @ begining of boil and then the 2nd half+ @ 15 minutes left in boil. Came out great and preserved the orangeish-light amber color of the saison i was brewing.

2oz tradition hops @ 60. (5 gal batch). GREEN BEER

THANKS AGAIN - cant wait to do some 3 gal AG big beers!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #1108
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

what type of clear tubing did you use? is it necessary to get high temp tubing for draining the wort?

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #1109
schreck
Recipes 

its high temp "superflex" pvc tubing... 3/8 ID 1/2 OD.

The tubing that hombrew shops sell/B&M & online/ are usually high temp beverage lines. They are rated to 212*F. I wouldnt use vinyl tubing or anything that isnt rated for high temp due to leaching of chemicals and off flavors... especially since the wort is coming out at around 160 or so.

all of the online shops have em.. search tubing

Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #1110
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks flyguy! I built the bulkhead, but didn't have the original spigot seal (cooler was given to me by a brewer who upgraded to cube). I was looking around for something silicone and ended up using some tubing cut in half. I punched a hole using some copper tubing and a hammer. No leaks!

Quick Reply